I've Completely Abandoned My Principles~~For Gals

by StAnn 16 Replies latest jw friends

• StAnn
    StAnn

When I was a girl growing up, my mother always said that makeup was for old women and prostitutes. She never wore much makeup. I played around with makeup for awhile as a teen but once I grew up, it began to bother my conscience. I felt that a man could take a shower, shave, fix his hair, get dressed, and go out into the world without makeup. He didn't go to work and have people say, "Oh, you just look so washed out today! You need some blusher and lipstick!" No, we accept a man's face as it is and rarely even think about "accentuating" his features with makeup. Yet women aren't acceptable in many social settings unless they shower, shave legs, fix their hair, get dressed, and put on makeup. Many women don't feel that they can go out into the world without their "war paint" on. To me, this seemed sexist. It also seemed like there was an entire industry, mostly run by men, telling women that although men are good enough the way God made them, women are not. Women need augmentation, accentuation, they need to smooth out their complexion, etc. It seemed so wrong to spend money supporting an industry that existed to beat women down. So I quit wearing makeup altogether.

And I mean altogether. I didn't even wear makeup for my wedding. People are used to me without makeup and what I've generally heard over the years is that I have such good color that I don't need makeup and that I'm a "natural beauty."

Three weeks ago I had a birthday. I'm 47. My color isn't so good anymore. I don't think I can pass for a natural beauty anymore either. So I went out and bought makeup, the full gear. It's taken me three weeks to get up the nerve and a LOT of privacy but I just finished painting my face up for the first time in 20+ years.

And I look good.

I feel like such a sellout. My principles about not contributing to a system that undermines women went out the window when I began to age.

I guess my mother would see me as an Old Woman now.

I feel so guilty about looking so good because it's fake, it's not real!

And once I went to deliver something to my ex-husband at his workplace and when I walked through the door, clean faced, he said, "You just look so fresh and pretty." I'm bummed that age has robbed me of that.

Help me through my crisis, ladies!

• Hadit
    Hadit

Oh dear! The age crisis. It SUCKS! I don't wear makeup either - only once in a blue moon. I know I look a bit washed up at times but I figure if someone doesn't like the way I look - it's their problem. Easier said than done I know!

We are VERY hard on ourselves and we shouldn't be. You are still that natural beauty - that doesn't go away - it just changes a little.

As for wearing some makeup you are not selling out! You are doing something for yourself and that is great. We tend to neglect ourselves sometimes and doing little things really can help us to feel better. Wearing it doesn't make you fake either - it accentuates your OWN looks! I bet you look damn good !

I've decided that I'm going to take better care of myself and have started to do all my "home" beauty remedies again on a weekly basis. They really do help and make a big difference. I am happy to share some of them with you if you would like.

Hang in there - I'm in the same boat! Sending hugs.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Hadlt, I actually did a three-step home exfoliating treatment tonight! LOL!

Thanks for your support.

I'd love to hear your home beauty remedies, so long as there is no mayonnaise involved. BLECH!

• Desert Rat
    Desert Rat

Did we have the same Mother? LOL Mine used to say the same thing, and in fact she didn't wear make-up until she was an old lady! I usually only wear mascara, and some times a little lipstick, depending on my mood. I am in my fifties, so I guess I now would have to classify myself as an old lady too!

Sounds like you are having fun exploring anyway. Slumber party time!

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

I think we are so lucky to be able to have fun with our faces (and wear bright clothes). Bet some guys, while being grateful for their quicker grooming time, are a bit jealous that we have more scope for changing our look according to the situation or our moods!!

Yay to the westernized human cultures - in some cultures mostly men wear the face and body paint - where women are socially allowed and encouraged to be colorful peacocks rather than dowdy peahens.

• nelly136
    nelly136

i'm lazy when it comes to makeup. bit of face cream in the mornings when i get out of the shower is usually as complicated as it gets these days.

but if i'm going to push the boat out i like the mineral powder foundation cos you can just apply it with a brush and not worry about blobbing blending and caking. (moisturising 20 minutes before you do it gives a better finish) its user friendly and you get a good finish whether youre a novice or a pro when it comes to makeup.

i mix in a light yellowy gold eye dust to the powder for under my eyes cos i tend to get dark circles, the yellow gold wipes them out, (stole that idea from the citrine twist on qvc i always meant to buy one day but never got round to)

• St George of England
    St George of England

Well ladies I would just like to say, as a chappy, I much prefer a lady au naturale, looking and smelling fresh from the shower, without all the perfume and make up. The most important factor, which you cannot buy in a bottle is personality.

George

• StAnn
    StAnn

Well, St. George, I've got tons of personality!!! LOL! Unfortunately for me, my husband prefers a little paint. I guess he wants the best of both worlds!

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I don't wear tons of makeup, but I do wear some. I don't always wear makeup on the weekends, just a moisturizer.

But I believe in wearing foundation - I buy a good one with SPF and moisturizer.

My makeup consists of: foundation, a little blush, mascara and lip gloss. I'm glad I've kept it minimal over the years. Most people say I look younger than my age. I think it's because I've looked after my skin.

I don't think you're a sell-out, St.Ann. Women's skin is different from men's. We're more high-maintenance, just naturally. Women have been "enhancing" since time immemorial. It's just what we do.

• JeffT
    JeffT

My wife has always worn very little make up. I prefer it that way. Our daughter also does not wear much make up unless she's on stage.

Here's a video you might like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cclhqdQqbeQ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit