Why Are Jehovah's Witnesses Considered by Many to Be a Cult?

by Cold Steel 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Religion and cult aren't that much different but there are some.

How does a group recruit? JW contact people and offer to study the bible, but they study their interpretation with the help of the bible. They start off with ideas that seem logical and may be true as per bible. As the student progresses in his "study" he is more prone to accept the ideas that are fed to him later in WTS 1914, 144000 and others. The student is encouraged to go to meetings and is love bombed and encouraged to return to and enjoy more talks and so forth. People seem friendly. As the student progresses and associates with JWs, he (the student) imagines he is gaining friends and is accepting their teachings directly or subconsciously that the world is evil and only people that will survive God's wrath are faithful JWs. Baptism is only a logical step. Once the individual gets baptised which by then he should have abandoned most of his "worldly" associates - the worldly friends aren't your friends just associates - that's what I was told many moons ago :) Anyways by that time he's surrounded by new "friends". He has never seen past teachings and never researched the history or the orgnization. Anything that is said against the JW individuals or the organization is from Satan or the opposers so he shouldn't believe these. By this time the individual in well along being programmed to stay away from old friends, not associate with outsiders as much as possible, not question God's organization and is bombarded with same propaganda at all meetings on regular basis.

If the individual now somehow discovers something odd about the group, either old docrines, or finds some skeletons in the closet he seems to find himself at odds with the rest of the group. If he brings up his concerns they are either dismissed as lies, or half truths or old light as the group has been enlightened since then. Now, if the individual continues with questions he may be viewed as a trouble maker who is causing divisions and the elders will have a chat with him. If there is no improvement the elders may call him and talk with him in a court style where he will be questioned as to his loyalty to the organization. If the elders don't like his tone, or his reasoning and can prevent him from seeing their way the individual is kicked out. Upon this action, majority IF NOT ALL of his JW friends and by this time maybe even his family may began to shun him. So not only did the individual leave behind his old friends he is not an outsider to all the people he come to know and make friends with. Some won't even acknowledge him when they pass him by even though they don't know the reason but that he's no longer part of them.

How many religions do this? Does Catholic Church? Do Protestant Churches? You may see this sort of behavior out of high control groups and cult but very few groups seperate their members from the real world. So WTS may not be a cult on the same level as Charles Manson's group but they are a cult nonestheless. On many levels they are dengerous to the members and their kids.

• agonus
    agonus

test

• Quillsky
    Quillsky
    For me, what cemented that I was in a cult was the realization that death was really the only REAL way out...

Worth a (tragic) repeat from agonus.

• agonus
    agonus

Diamondiiz has a very good point. In other circles this sort of thing is referred to as "initiation". Now look... if you want to keep secrets from the general public under the auspices of "right to privacy" or some such, fine. But for Christ's sake, let people KNOW up front that there is "sensitive information" that you cannot reveal to others who are not "in the know", but don't act like "oh, we have nothing to hide" then SUE people for QUOTING YOUR OWN LITERATURE! (They have... you CAN'T make this shit up!) People who have nothing to hide... hide nothing. Why is the Watchtower Library CD-ROM only available to "brothers", and not an "educational tool for the general public"? Seriously, when you get a chance, download a bootleg copy and install it. Read the license agreement... and I mean, read ALL of it... and tell me if you honestly think these people don't seem at least a TAD paranoid. Copies of the CD-ROM that are no longer in use must be returned to the Watchtower organization or DESTROYED? What the bloody hell FOR?!

OK, now from someone who HAS been on the inside... let me tell you how things are going down with "the anointed"...

When I was 30 years old, (in 2007 i think) I received "the call". By which I mean, I believed I was "anointed", though not strictly in the traditional JW sense. What I mean is that I wanted to be with Jesus Christ more than anything I'd ever wanted in my life, anywhere, ever. I seriously contemplated partaking of the emblems, when I was told by my non-anointed father-in-law, after I'd disclosed said feelings, "Oh, trust me, you're not anointed." Well, that settled that, apparently...

UNTIL...

Come to find out, in 2008 or so, the WT published an article which made it ABUNDANTLY clear that "the anointed" had NO MORE SPIRITUAL INSIGHT than anybody else. In fact, they even went so far as to suggest that these "new anointed" might be suffering from... wait for it... "mental strain." First time I remember ever reading such a thing.

Now the question is... WHY did the WT feel compelled to "dress down" their so-called "other sheep" companions in this fashion?

Could it be that the ever-rising number of partakers (which, by WT math, SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING) made the GB a tad nervous?

Golly, that's awfully convenient for newly-appointed-to-the-GB-in-2000 fellas like David Splane and Stephen Lett, who started partaking of the emblems at 17 and 20, respectively?

You have NO idea how deep this rabbit hole goes, bro. Start doing some digging... if you dare.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Another insight if you need more coldsteel...

i will admit that i have trouble with the cult label at times.

What i do see is two children being raised in this religion that know full well that, if/when, they get baptised they will be expected to cut off all ties with me, their father. I see myself being cut off from them because i no longer am part of the religion.

So, i reluctantly find myself drawn to conclude at present that even if i do not think of the WT CORP as a full blown cult, they certainly have a number of dangerous similarities. What sort of thing is going on mind control wise to make kids shun parents over a belief if it is not cultish?

What i see is the Watchtower as corporation that has gradualy developed into using various cult like tactics hidden in wrapping of 'christianity' to control people to its own nefarious ends.

The leaving of what you may see as large numbers does not mean those leaving have escaped without deep scars. Yes it is possible to 'leave' the Watchtower, but look out for the consequences. Again, i admit that smacks of cult too. After all, if i was a member of the local uniting church and decided to leave, there would be no fall-out whatsoever.

Also you might like to research the practice of disfellowshipping in the history of the watchtower. It was not always so. Perhaps to look at the so called scriptures used to support the shunning done.

It is perhaps the single most feature of this religion that gets it the cult label. Take away the practice and teaching around shunning and the WT CORP would bleed out faster than a cut jugular.

I too am surprised that after four years on here you need to ask this...

oz

• agonus
    agonus

Yepper, Oz, "disfellowshipping" was inaugurated well after 70 years into the WT's relatively short history! Particularly ironic when you consider that VERY SHORTLY prior to that, there was a WT article condemning the (less punitive) Catholic practice of "excommunication" as UNSCRIPTURAL!

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

@agonus

yep, that one really got my attention!

it was a 1947 WT, jan 8 that they wrote showing the practice was PAGAN

and flip flopped in the March 1 1952 WT saying it was a chritian practice... and correct!

oz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit