Why Are Jehovah's Witnesses Considered by Many to Be a Cult?

by Cold Steel 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

In a world that’s growing increasingly profligate and vile, I’m concerned so much vitriol is aimed at churches like the Jehovah’s Witnesses. I’m not one, and I have theological differences with it; however other religions and former members of the religion seem to be unusually bitter and critical. And the word “cult” is used in relation to it.

I admit to being unfamiliar with many of the social aspects of the church, but all churches have a hierarchal structure and it’s not unusual for many churches to also be dogmatic in relation to the scriptures.

The word “cult,” though, has acquired a vicious connotation that, in the past, has been limited to the likes of Jim Jones, David Koresh and Warren Jeffs. Now it’s routinely applied to Mormons, Seventh Day Adventists, Jehovah’s Witnesses and other sects that, while they may not be mainstream, are far removed from the real wackos.

One Internet article, for example, begins: “If you are involved in Seventh Day Adventism or any other cult, let me assure you that your friends and relatives do care.” Later the author states, “When I consider Seventh Day Adventists whom I know personally, I realize that none of them is happy.” He then goes on to mention their “perverted lifestyles,” their “delusions” and “self righteousness.” Similar articles appear for just about any religion you can imagine. Entire websites are aimed at Catholicism, assuring people that the Pope is the Antichrist.

I have no issue with critical review of religions; however, what is it about the Jehovah’s Witnesses that inspire such hatred?

Another website calls the JWs a “destructive cult” and reports: “The Jehovah Witness Watchtower is a big money (billion a year) mind control operation that steals the hearts, minds and ultimately the lives of it’s followers. The cult uses mind control tools to keep members in line such as: milieu control, loaded language, demand for purity, confession, mystical manipulation, doctrine over person, sacred science, dispensing of existence, control of environment, closed logic, and most of all fear.” And “Cult members…aren’t allowed to read anything critical of the cult so they don’t think for themselves. [They use] mind control techniques to create a nowhere to run, nowhere to hide atmosphere for the members. Members must literally spy on other cult members to ensure that they have not violated cult rules.”

Although the Witnesses are dogmatic and somewhat eccentric, most other religions also have a canon of scripture, a board of governors or a central convention. Evangelicals used to use the Catholics as their primary whipping boy, but recently Catholics (who “pray” to saints and believe in all sorts of strange doctrines like transubstantiation) have proven to be better allies against the crop of “cults.”

So why the charges of cultism in a day when Christianity is dying in large parts of the U.S.? I don’t know if the charges of mind control are right or not, but I find the mind control used my many progressives and Marxists to be far more dangerous to people — and very few people are attacking this trend, which is being taught in the schools and universities of the U.S. In short, as long as people can just walk away from a religion and speak out against it, how much of a “cult” can it be? And how much is hype?

Admittedly, I don’t know what the Witness culture looks like from the inside. I’ve never talked to an “elder” or “overseer,” but are the Jehovah’s Witnesses really the cult many people say (this isn’t rhetorical, I’m just asking from ignorance)? I just think the term “cult” has been overused on the Internet, and to me churches like the Seventh Day Adventists and the Witnesses have more in common with other Christian churches than they do with the wackos.

What do you think?

-------------------

P.S. -- Someone recommended the book Combatting Cult Mind Control, by Steven Hassan. I'd be interested in hearing any stories where you or someone else was subjected to mind control from within the church.

• sabastious
    sabastious

The JW's literature has always been very bias towards the world as a whole. It dwells on the negative and minimizes the positive on everything outside of the JW framework.

This idea is worked into childrens mind in child-friendly propaganda and the adults are brain washed via extreme repetition of these negative ideas and non-stop busywork.

Are they less-destructive than some cults? Yes, but they still have a very dangerous negative message that can hurt many.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious

Another red flag is that they are taught that they have a "copyright" on faith itself and have sole accurate knowledge of the universe and it's purpose. And they ostrocise any who oppose.

Another huge red flag in the cult arena is that ALL criticism is considered PERSECUTION. Think about that sentiment.

-Sab

• agonus
    agonus

Well, I guess you'd have to have been one to 'get it"... the whole 'familiarity breeds contempt" thing. But you do well to ask yourself: How many religions practice ORGANIZATIONALLY ENFORCED shunning, even requiring PRINTED INSTRUCTIONS on how to carry out said directive? How many religions are responsible for the deaths of children resulting from the ABSOLUTE refusal of certain medical procedures under pain of aforementioned shunning? How many religious organizations print a SECRET packet for adherents facing child custody battles, instructing them to answer in ways that are clearly contrary to what is taught from the platform? I mean, if you need 64 pages of instructions on how to answer in court when questioned as to whether you're in a cult... isn't that a pretty good tipoff you might be in a cult?

...and this is only the tip of the iceberg. What makes it most offensive is that the WT organization is one of the few that makes the sweeping claim that THEY are the ONLY true religion ON EARTH... and ALL OTHER RELIGIONS, no matter how much they may have in common, are UTTERLY FALSE...

• agonus
    agonus

For me, what cemented that I was in a cult was the realization that death was really the only REAL way out... completely "out" that is. Like the Eagles sang, "you can check out any time you like... but YOU CAN NEVER LEAVE...'

• sabastious
    sabastious
    How many religions are responsible for the deaths of children resulting from the ABSOLUTE refusal of certain medical procedures under pain of aforementioned shunning?

The ONLY way to accomplish this is through a mind control tactic, it is an inhuman practice and no human would kill their young without a long process of conditioning.

-Sab

• agonus
    agonus

Exactly Sab. If that isn't the hallmark of a cult, I'm not sure what is.

• agonus
    agonus

Sab, did you see the quote posted here not long ago from a 90's KM, the one that said that a Witness parent should not mention "the resurrection hope' to a judge in cases like this so as not to appear as a "religious fanatic" in front of those whose 'primary interest is the well-being of the child."

Those pesky unbelievers and their damned child welfare hangups...

• agonus
    agonus

And that's what children become in Dub custody cases... pawns... nothing more...

• sabastious
    sabastious

Wait a second.... children have RIGHTS of their own?

That's not what the BIBLE says....

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit