Why I Don't Believe in God or Organized Religion

by Black Man 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Man
    Black Man

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520092929 1073786111 9 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} -->

Haven't officially walked away from the cult over a year ago (had been trying to apply a slow fade over a number of years) and now being able to think clearly, I can truly say that organized religion is the epitome of man's ARROGANCE and IGNORANCE.

To think that if God existed and created something as wondrous and vast as the universe, would take the time to micromanage certain people's lives (through religion) is hilariously comical to me, especially when there has never been real, solid evidence of this in history. Also, its obvious that at the time of the origins of religion, it was all in the context that the earth is the focal point of existence, and the scale of the universe was unkown to the primitive people at the time. All of this madness originated when people basically didn't know their elbow from their ass and needed to create explanations for everything they didn't understand.

The great majority of people belong to the religion that their parents and culture belong to, so its almost like, even if the very slim chance that one of these faiths is correct, its coincidence and luck on your part that you belong to it. I call bullshit!

I personally hate the idea that religious people are somewhat more moral than non-religious when all evidence points to the contrary. The most worse people in the world (i.e. - killers, rapists, other psychopathic criminals) almost all consider themselves religious.

The scariest thing to me is that even if religion were correct, it is still BAD FOR HUMANITY. Anything that creates divisiveness and leads us away from all working together creates more suffering than it relieves.

The only thought process that gives us(humans) any hope for the future, is that we are all in this together, and what hurts one person, hurts us all. If that was the de facto belief system of mankind instead of these primitive myth based beliefs that have divided and conquered us, the world would be a much much better place.

I've been thinking about this for awhile now as I've been encountering pressure from all sides of my family as to why I left the cult AND I'm getting some pressure from some of my religious co-workers who recall me being a devout JW and now not being part of the JW treadmill.

So, I'm just articulating my thoughts on this a little more, and am appreciative of forums such as these which let me develop my views without judgement. Anyway, just my 2 cents..............

• Black Man
    Black Man

Ok, that first sentence should have read........."Having officially walked away from the cult over a year ago............"

And also, can anybody help me with why all of hieroglyphics appeared before my actual message in the post? Thanks...........

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

I agree with you. I am not an Atheist. I am an anti-theist. Religion damages the human species and hinders the human potential.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Love it dude good post!

• tec
    tec

I am a believer, in God through Christ. But I also believe what you said here:

"we are all in this together, and what hurts one person, hurts us all"

Tammy

• tank
    tank

Yep, the best idea Jehovah could come up with before destroying 5 billion people is have mostly unqualified JWs go door to door with quasi inspired Watchtower and Awake mags, as you said is hilariously comical.

• Black Man
    Black Man

Thanks for all of your insights! Was just articulating some thoughts that I was having!

• ranmac
    ranmac

This white man likes the way you articulated your thoughts.

Im definitely going to steal you words for future head banging against the wall discussions with still brainwashed loved ones. Emotion sometimes makes it hard for me to articulate reason. I have also wondered many a time why the almighty creator of the universe would be so overly concerned about how many numbers we put on a time sheet.

• ranmac
    ranmac

This white man likes the way you articulated your thoughts.

Im definitely going to steal you words for future head banging against the wall discussions with still brainwashed loved ones. Emotion sometimes makes it hard for me to articulate reason. I have also wondered many a time why the almighty creator of the universe would be so overly concerned about how many numbers we put on a time sheet.

• ranmac
    ranmac

sorry for double articulating

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit