Science Channel program on "Lost Gospels" - did anyone else see it?

by JWoods 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Well, we have acces to all those writings, they are there for who wants to read them.

It wasn't always the case of course, but as we know, that never stopped information from coming out.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    It wasn't always the case of course, but as we know, that never stopped information from coming out.

Most of the extra-canon ancient writings we now have were physically discovered from the later 1800s on to today. Some references existed in other literature, but the conventional church of the ancient time did all they could to conceal or destroy them.

It is a great mystery what may have been permanently lost - much like what was lost in the destruction of the great libraries of Alexandria.

Roman Catholic Church in the one case - the Muslim conquerors in the other.

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

I love those shows....

I like the take on some of Jesus stories.....and wonder.......what if????

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Most of the extra-canon ancient writings we now have were physically discovered from the later 1800s on to today. Some references existed in other literature, but the conventional church of the ancient time did all they could to conceal or destroy them.
    It is a great mystery what may have been permanently lost - much like what was lost in the destruction of the great libraries of Alexandria.
    Roman Catholic Church in the one case - the Muslim conquerors in the other.

And yet, here we are...

Interesting eh?

That said I think the church persecution of these documents is probably exagerated, many of the writings we have are of debates between theologians in answer to "heretics", which shows a willingness to debate and win, rather than to hunt down and silence.

Not talking about the index and inquisition of course.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit