Science Channel program on "Lost Gospels" - did anyone else see it?

by JWoods 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• JWoods
    JWoods

I watched an interesting program last night on Science Channel called Mysteries of the Bible - this episode was about the lost gospels.

They include one by Peter, another by Mary Magdelene, and one by Judas. The most interesting part of the show, to me, was how they debunked the notion (shared by the WTBTS) that Constantine's council was somehow inspired and picked out the correct four gospels by divine means.

The pictured Constantine as a practically non-religious person except in the sense that he saw a centrally organized system of christianity as a source of political power for himself. Much was made of how he disliked the independent spirit of the gnostics, and therefore viewed Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John as the least politically dangerous of the numerous gospel writings available in his time.

And, of course, again I was reminded of just how uncertain we really are about the writings preserved in the present-day New Testament: They were written at least decades after their events took place, and were the result of verbal traditions told from one person to another. The program suggested that very possibly some of the forgotten gospels were actually older than that of Mark.

Also it reminded me of how much the JWs depend on actions by the early orthodox church for their view of the scriptures - even though they also say that the christian church had become apostate by that time.

Just wondered if anybody else saw this and had any comment.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    And, of course, again I was reminded of just how uncertain we really are about the writings preserved in the present-day New Testament: They were written at least decades after their events took place, and were the result of verbal traditions told from one person to another. The program suggested that very possibly some of the forgotten gospels were actually older than that of Mark.

People have been debating that since those days and will continue to do so it seems.

Best one can do is read BOTH sides of the argument and decide for ourselves and realize that an opinion is just that, an opinion.

• undercover
    undercover

I didn't see that program, but I did see the one on the Exodus account.

And if I can digress/hijack for a moment, does anyone else get irked at Science Channel or Discovery when they go to great lengths to show how the so-called miracles of God can actually be explained scientifically but then as the credits are rolling make sure to praise the Bible as a ways to build our faith, blah blah blah...

It's like they dumb it down so as to not upset any sensibilities of people who actually believe it happened just as it was written.

Sorry.... I'll put the soapbox away now...

Back to the Lost Gospels...

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I missed that one, but the Science Channel repeats programs often enough that I'll be able to catch it. I love both the Science Channel and the History Channel's programs on Biblicle matters. The material on those programs make much more sense than everything I've been spoonfed since my birth. PBS Online has a really good section dedicated to Apocalyptic teachings, mainly John's Revelation.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    People have been debating that since those days and will continue to do so it seems.

Some will continue to do so - apparantly though, many - including the witnesses - just take the conventional NT as divinely inspired and reject anything else discovered from that era.

I guess it just seems odd to me that the JWs seem to be very comfortable criticizing practically every detail of conventional christianity that has gone before them over the centuries, but accept the conventional bible canon hook, line, and sinker - even though it was made by what they consider to be false christians.

• wobble
    wobble

I think it is easy to determine that if God had wanted certain writings to be preserved He would not have allowed the corrupt Church that was under the Pagan Constantine's thumb to determine which writings were canonical.

Probably after that Council and even before, many writings that we would find illuminating today were destroyed.

I would love it if a genuine collection of the teachings of Jesus were to be found, along the lines of the "Gospel of Thomas" , but without doubt almost written as Jesus spoke them.

I bet no such thing comes to light.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Well, some of the works go against JW teachins, such as the Book of Watchers ( Enoch), so it makes sense they don't "approve" of that one.

Leo posted a nice post about how the canon came to be and why so many of the gospels were rejected.

It wasn't a case of deciding on but more like confirming which ones were the CORE books/letters of Chrisitan beliefs.

Those had already been accepted by mainstream christianity at the time, it was just a question of putting them all together in one "book".

• JWoods
    JWoods
    And if I can digress/hijack for a moment, does anyone else get irked at Science Channel or Discovery when they go to great lengths to show how the so-called miracles of God can actually be explained scientifically but then as the credits are rolling make sure to praise the Bible as a ways to build our faith, blah blah blah...

It does seem a little bit middle-of-the-road apologetic...but I guess they are trying not to offend religions people who may watch their shows. Usually the content of the show is pretty realistic, though.

• undercover
    undercover
    I guess they are trying not to offend religions people who may watch their shows. Usually the content of the show is pretty realistic, though.

Yea, the show I watched was well done - though one thing didn't make sense, but that's for another thread I guess. But I find it a bit disingenius to dispel the myths but then find a way to justify accepting them...

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I think it is easy to determine that if God had wanted certain writings to be preserved He would not have allowed the corrupt Church that was under the Pagan Constantine's thumb to determine which writings were canonical.
    Probably after that Council and even before, many writings that we would find illuminating today were destroyed.
    I would love it if a genuine collection of the teachings of Jesus were to be found, along the lines of the "Gospel of Thomas" , but without doubt almost written as Jesus spoke them.
    I bet no such thing comes to light.

Even when Jesus walked the Earth and spoke directly, there were those that doubted, even after all he did.

How would mere words on "paper" convince them?

I think that many writings got "pushed back" because they were found to be "plagurized" and that can screw up even a correct work and I think that outside the ones that the direct line of followers after the apostles, didn't use/mention/approve/know about, were just cast into the section of "interesting but nothing new to add".

Some of course sound just as wacky to them as they do to us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit