Knock, knock, who's there?!

by Chalam 6 Replies latest jw experiences

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi JWNers!

I thought is might be the postman but then he usually rings the bell ;)

Then something told me the JWs had come round to "serve me" and looking through the opaque glass on the door seemed to confirm this.

Two young ladies started to present their pitch, holding out some WT literature which I declined, explaining I already know enough about their religion as I have a friend who is a JW.

Having previously vowed not to waste too much time in circular debate I decided to cut to the chase and leave them with something to ponder so I grabbed my computer and asked them to turn in their NWTs to John 6. As I was looking it up, I set the scene and told them it was the bit where Jesus was saying people needed to eat his flesh and drink his blood. The first JW said it was symbolic and I agreed.

John 6:53-54 (New International Version)

53 Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.

54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.

So my questions to them were

1. If you don't take the symbolic bread and wine at the memorial, how do you have an life in you?

2. If you don't take bread and wine, how are you going to be raised up at the last day?

Of course, they pretty much immediately cut to the "144, 000" and stuff. I remarked that Jesus said there would be one flock and one shepherd John 10:16

Another WT book was produced and they were preparing more "explanations" I asked them what is their highest authority, the bible or the WT publications?

They said the bible.

So I asked them about their answers to my John 6 question once again.

They explained they could understand my point of view but they were satisfied with the WT explanations.

I told them my own highest authority was the words of Jesus and I found the WT explanation to contradict them.

After a little more talk we said some parting salutations and off they went.

One other thing, I don't know if it is just those that come knocking at my door but JWs on FS always strike me as if they are on the way to a funeral, dressing predominantly in black or grey and complemented with a somber demeanour. Clearly, they are not bringing "good news" but news of death.

So what do you think?

Blessings,

Stephen

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Stephen:

dressing predominantly in black or grey and complemented with a somber demeanour

The WT Society has encouraged JW women to dress in a manner that will not excite the bulls.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/4556/1/Women-are-COWS

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Chalam - I think you did a great job! Probably gave them plenty to think about and mull over between calls. I remember having a few conversations pretty much like you just had (but from the other side!) - and in about 35 years of witnessing, for those conversations to stand out is saying something!

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

Hi Chalam

Coincidentally I have just posted about my recent door knocking experience. It looks like yours were slightly more switched on then mine or perhaps they are just more comfortable talking with people who believe in Jesus and the bible because they can always full back on it being due to interpretaion and understanding and they trust the WT.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Good Job Stephen. I take it you have never been a Witness, if not, what drew you to this site?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Edited out> My comment wound up on the wrong thread.

Good job.

• Chalam
    Chalam

leavingwt The WT Society has encouraged JW women to dress in a manner that will not excite the bulls.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/4556/1/Women-are-COWS

Wow, that article is too much. No surprise there are problems pedophilia amongst the JW ranks.

Meeting Junkie No More Chalam - I think you did a great job! Probably gave them plenty to think about and mull over between calls. I remember having a few conversations pretty much like you just had (but from the other side!) - and in about 35 years of witnessing, for those conversations to stand out is saying something!

Hopefully the seeds sown germinate sooner or later :)

jamesmahon It looks like yours were slightly more switched on then mine or perhaps they are just more comfortable talking with people who believe in Jesus and the bible because they can always full back on it being due to interpretaion and understanding and they trust the WT.

The JWs I meet are normally more than happy to talk. I think the vast majority of people say "no thanks" so finally getting to talk to someone is a breakthrough.

cantleave Good Job Stephen. I take it you have never been a Witness, if not, what drew you to this site?

I have a good friend who is a JW so I came here to understand more about him and his family and friends and their situation.

OnTheWayOut Good job.

Many thanks :)

Blessings,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit