Watching them FADE in an other way

by Darth plaugeis 29 Replies latest social family

• cattails
    cattails

I'm very sorry Darth. Be there for your Dad. We may all sooner or later find ourselves in that same situation, and no matter how tough we may be, Alzheimer's may be the toughest thing to deal with in our lives. It takes away one's personality and dignity. Be there for your Dad and remember who he was when he was free of this awful thing he's going through now. Deep down there are memories and these are precious, Alzheimers steals these vital memories of one's personality. It's just an awful thing to go through, my thoughts and feelings go out to you and your family. Just be there for your Dad, and those who love you and love him too, no matter what.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I'm just so sorry. My thoughts are with you and your dad.

• cult classic
    cult classic

My grandmother was diagnosed with Alzheimers before she died. She forgot everyone in the family. Except for my dad (her firstborn) and me (her firstborn grandchild) Everyone was so sad that she didn't remember them when they would visit. I would walk into the room and sometimes without looking my way she would say, "hi cult classic." She knew who I was until the end. And we would have conversations about regular stuff. At the time I would joke with everyone else, "grandma remembers me and not you guys!"

I now realize how special that was.

I'm sorry Darth. Hang in there.

• nelly136
    nelly136

(((darth))) its hard watching someone you love die long before their body catches up.

in our family the men have tended to drop dead fast and the wiminz get the ol'timers and linger for years away with the fairies.

i think the men got the far better deal.

my nan never forgot me, she did forget about the jw politics and that i was dfd, it reverted her back to the years before the jw crap imploded our family. i didnt get to see her much cos of the jw crap, so it must have really irked my aunt that she could forget those she saw day to day but she lit up like a torch for me.

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

Darth, I'm so sorry--my heart goes out to both you AND your father.

Please stay strong--you sound like a good son. You also are aware that there's a strong genetic component to this terrible disease--take steps now to prevent it happening to you. I recommend turmeric capsules. Seriously.

• nancy drew
  • cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

darth, yes be prepared for your turn :-)

• JWoods
    JWoods

My mother has mid-to-advanced Altzheimers now at 85 years of age. We finally had to sell her house and put her in a controlled living facility for her own safety.

I sometimes wonder if this disease is becoming more common as many people are living longer now that more effective treatments or preventions are available for things like heart disease or cancer.

It is a very cruel disease - all you can do is be nice to them and hope that they understand at least a little.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I am sorry to hear this. I have been a nurse for years, too...and have taken extra good

care of alot of those who have served the public...Is he on any medication to slow it down?

Make sure you take care of yourself, too. There are good support boards for caregivers, and

family of those suffering from this cruel disease. You aren't alone, so don't carry the burden alone.

Let us know what we can do! Vent, cry, rant...whatever you need.

Life as come full circle for your family, and that's not easy!!

• Mary
    Mary

Darth, I know exactly how you feel. My grandma died of Alzheimers over 10 years ago and it was heartbreaking to watch her demise over the years that led up to her death. I went to visit her 3 days before she died and she didn't even know who I was. It started out with her forgetting appointments (something she never forgot), then she'd forget to go to the meetings (that was one bonus). Then her eating patterns changed. She either could go all day without eating anything but tell you she did, or, she would eat until she practically got sick. Her personal hygiene started going down the tubes as well and it was a horrible struggle to get her to at least let us wash her hair. I had told my aunt for the previous 2 years that grandma needed to go into a retirement home, but my aunt left it and left it. I finally found a beautiful retirement home close to home and grandma was in there. They took good care of her until she got so bad she had to go into a nursing home. She went downhilll fast.

There were a couple of light-hearted episodes though that I can at least look back on and smile. One, was when I went to see her in the Retirement Home shortly after I got her put in there. She wasn't in her room so I went looking for her. She was in another room with a party hat on singing "Happy Birthday" to a fellow tenant. I laughed my head off when I saw that as she looked like she was having a good time. My aunt, on the other hand, was horrified that grandma---a Witness since the early 1930s would be partaking in something so "pagan".

The other funny moment was when I was picking her up for the Memorial one year (my parents were in Florida). I thought she was too far gone to go but my aunt thought grandma should go so I went and got her. On the way in, grandma asked me where we were going. I said "To the Memorial. Do you remember why we go to the Memorial grandma?" She thought for a moment and then said "Um....to remember those that died in the War?" I nearly burst out laughing but I thought 'okay, that's the last time we're doing this!"

Since grandma's mom also died of the same disease, I'd actually like to get tested as I know it's hereditary. They say that learning a new language, doing crossword puzzles, Omega 3's and a few other supplements can help prevent getting it.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit