What book did you study which brought you into the org? Is it now defunct?

by James_Slash 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• James_Slash
    James_Slash

I think we can all gather that given the major doctrinal changes over the past few decades, a lot of books are now defunct for one reason or another whether that be doctrinal changes or simply that they are now inaccurate in line with todays teachings.

So which book convinced you that it was the 'truth' and brought you into the organisation and is it now defunct?

Mine was The Knowledge that leads to Everlasting Life published in 2000. I don't know for sure, but I can't imagine that this book is completely accurate given the changes recently regarding generation.

• broops100
    broops100

The book I studied was the 'You Can Live On Paradise on Earth'.... My cousin gave it to me when I was 17 yrs old. I read it, & was hooked. My aunts, uncles & just about everyone else around me had been JW's for 40 plus years, so my dad was always open minded & believed I had the right to decide for myself, so nobody tried to stop me. Consequently I brought my mom in a year later :( -

Thankfully my mom never got baptised & due to ill health didnt make many meetings over the last few years, so I have been able to undo all their poision & she has seen the real light .... Trouble is busy body sisters keep turning up at her house randomly, telling her that she cant sit on the fence & she needs to get back to the meetings. My non JW dad keeps butting in & they are getting really ratty with him as though he is some raving loony who doesnt know what he's talking about.. My mom cant tell the sisters to butt out either because if she does them my JW aunt will get to know & it will cause more divisions. So life is all about living under the radar.... What nobody knows nobodys gonna miss...

When studying this book I got told the Society had had new light on certain items, such as Hitler getting a resurrection.... The book said he would, but they decided he wouldnt....

As far as I can reason now, using their own crappy logic, is that the Wages of Sin is Death. Therefore whether he would deserve a resurrection is a different story, but for them to suddenly say he wasnt entitled to a resurrection doesnt match the rest of their teachings.. It is not as though he was divinely put to death is it!

It would have been more appropriate for them to have said from the beginning that we can not say for certain what his hope is likely to be & we leave it in the hands of Jehovah. They did the same flip flopping with those who died at Sodom & Gormorrah....

Why I let myself get sucked in is beyond me..... But if I hadnt I wouldnt have the great hubby I do now or the 4 kids.... :) (All out of the so called truth now & young enough to not be too damaged...)

• wasblind
    wasblind

I also studied from the knowledge book, and i was also told that what was writtten in that book was the truth.

now i know the real truth, and that is, REAL TRUTH NEVER CHANGES OR GROWS OLD, NEVER BECOMES DEFUNCT

AND NEW TRUTHS (LIGHT) DOES NOT CHANGE OR EXTINGUSH OLD TRUTH (LIGHT).

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

You Can Live Forever in Paradise on Earth

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

I was a born-in...so first it was My Book of Bible Stories (with it's frightening depictions of violence and bloodshed), then it was "Learning From the Great Teacher" (remember? The little Pepto-pink book with the green embossing??), then the Youth book (hated having that "reproduction and masturbation" study...I'd already been masturbating for 3 years by then lol), then the Questions Young People Ask (the original blue hard cover), then You Can Live Forever, followed by the United in Worship book after my baptism at 13.

Most of the time, I was bored, gave my mother an attitude, read paragraphs and answered questions without feeling...like a robot. She knew I wasn't into it. Half the time we were lying on her bed studying because dad was an "unbeliever" and would be blasting the TV in the living room, so that was the only quiet place...and I frequently fell asleep.

I do have to say that mom wasn't exactly strict about a study schedule, though. That's probably why I didn't really enjoy it (besides the obvious). It just took time away from more important things...like watching Silver Spoons and MacGyver...

• life is to short
    life is to short

I never studied a book with anyone. I was a born in with on the fence parents. My parents wanted to get baptized when I was 12 years old. Really my 19 year old sister did and my parents said no she could not unless we all did. All I knew of the "truth" was what I heard at the meetings. I had tons of questions that no one cared about or answered.

The elders come to go over the questions with the four of us they all blew me off as just a stupid kid until the last elder. He looked at my parents and sister and said well you all can be baptized but pointing to me he said you should answer at the very least one question. So he asked me what is God's name? I said Jehovah and two weeks latter I was dunked. I just remember thinking how stupid. Of course I was never studied with after that because the elders deemed me OK to get baptized

LITS

• Desert Rat
    Desert Rat

It was the old blue "Truth" book, it has been so long ago, that I can't even remember the full title! Maybe that means I am further down the road to recovery than I thought!?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JAMES_SLASH,

The blue "Truth" book is what I studied back in the day. Now that I look back, I remember feeling how it struck me as being simplistic, silly and fit for a grade school mentality.

• FreeAtLast1914
    FreeAtLast1914

Born-in. Studied 'em all. In my mind, they are all (and always have been) defunct.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I was dragged in with the Suffer Forever book. They updated that book in 1988 with the Sodomites' resurrection hope flub-up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit