Small ebay sellers, can you make it work?

by ballistic 20 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The Long Tail by Chris Anderson is a good book for anyone wanting to sell online. Personally I found it more interesting than the 'How To Sell on Ebay' books.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I made it work for 6 years, oneyear turning over £75K. The peoblem is ebay have got too greedy and they are imposing studid seller controls - they arev worse than the borg.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Yes ebay used to be excellent to make money, but I have cut back on selling on ebay because of all the fees. Now I set up a booth at crafts shows or have garage sales.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

That is interesting cantleave that is the level I am now at, but I am still managing to sell more each year than the last. I sell online but not on eBay. Can I ask what you sold?

• elder-schmelder
    elder-schmelder

I was a very large seller on ebay 2 years ago. My sales were about $40,000 per month with a profit of about $4,000 per month. I was selling about 50 to 100 items per day with a low profit margin, and I was happy with it. It all changed when eBay changed the seller requirements for feedback, and then they Double/Tripled the final value fees. I am mad at eBay because they had a good thing and then messed it up.

elder-schmelder

• ballistic
    ballistic

Thing is, I have been running this as a happy bunny thinking that paypal were taking 5%. I don't know where I got this from. They are taking a flat fee off me of 20 pence plus 3.4% from UK buyers and 3.9% for European buyers. You have to remember this is on top of all the ebay fees and ebay now stipulate in Europe that you HAVE to offer paypal as a payment option.

Now, with regard to ideas, I'm not sure it's a great idea to broadcast your money making ideas on message boards, however if anyone has an idea in the U.S. which they need someone based in the UK to drop ship for them... ;)

• cantleave
    cantleave

I sold watches.

• cloudy2010
    cloudy2010

what kind of watches do u sell

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Ebay has evolved a lot over time and has become a victim of its success. It is ripe to be undercut by another auction place that is more user friendly, or cut out altogether by another business model.

• elder-schmelder
    elder-schmelder

I sold DVD's and CD's

elder-schmelder

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit