Are You A Pushover?

by minimus 10 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I know a lot of JWs that are easy to manipulate, easy to take advantage of.

Are you gullible? Do you tend to believe people easily?

• undercover
    undercover

Not anymore...

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Yes.

Don't ask me about fugly dog.

• tec
    tec

Are you gullible? Do you tend to believe people easily?

No. In fact, I rarely believe anything someone says without questioning it, testing it, waiting for them or time to prove something to me before I'll put too much stock in it. I do, however, listen to the things that people have to say and/or believe. I am far more open in that way, I think, but I don't personally accept it.

(this is speaking spiritually - speaking about ads and products and services and things promising something that is too good to be true, well, I always look for the fine print, and I always end up finding it)

I do trust easily, in the sense that I give people the benefit of the doubt when I don't know one way or the other. But I'm not sure that's the same thing.

Tammy

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

No, it's in my nature to be apprehensive about anyone when I first meet them. I don't instantly warm up to anyone and I don't readily believe everything anyone says to me. Something that I was criticized for when I was growing up.

• tec
    tec

Oh, Palmtree - I'm a pushover for those types of things too, like you. I prefer to help others and give them the benefit of the doubt that they're going to keep their word for their end of the bargain.

We get taken advantage of for it, but I still think its the right way to be. (though I understand if, at this moment, you can't think that way :)...)

Is fugly still with you?

Tammy

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MINIMUS,

Hell, No. Not in the religion and not in everyday life either. That is why I had problems in the JW religion. Precisely because I was NOT a pushover, nor was I gullible. I asked too many questions. In a woman they are looking for pushovers and doormats and I was neither.

I believe this is the reason for their mad rush to go door to door. They are looking for more doormats and pushovers to replace those who have already left the religion.

• ZeusRocks
    ZeusRocks

When I was a JW, I was a huge pushover. I was more than willing to ignore my own thoughts and needs in order to accommodate doctrine and try and ammend my behaviour in order to fit in and swallow all the crap that dribble out of the GB's arse.

Now I'm free of that, I'm no longer willing to submit myself to anything without good reason. It's like the old saying goes, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

• Hadit
    Hadit

Coming from a controlling family and a controlling religion - I used to be. I also was sick all the time. I got sick of being sick and looked into why and I stumbled upon the connection between mind and body and how loss of control over your life and individuality makes you physically sick and depressed. I started asserting myself more and the chronic conditions I had before are gone.

Longhairgal: Why oh why weren't you in my hall? I could have used a good example!

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

I used to be a pushover. Especially whenever the elders spoke to me, I just fell apart. Later I would emotionally beat myself up for not standing up for what I knew was right.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit