Going Clear: Jehovah's Witnesses?

by StarTrekAngel 10 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    Would it ever happen? Your opinion.
  • LosingMyReligion
    LosingMyReligion

No, I don't think so.

Witnesses don't have prison camps, they don't have a "fair game" policy and they are just not so interesting and mysterious as the scientologists. The only thing that would make them interesting for the media and the general public is if the protection of sex offenders blew up in their face and got a lot of attention. For that to happen you need people who have been abused to come forward and you need someone (a media) to spread their story.

Unfortunately there is not enough of either at the time to garner any real awareness of Jehovas Witnesses. For most people they are just the weirdos who goes door-to-door and don't celebrate anything. Only witnesses and ex-witnesses care about them to put it blunt.

• Chris Hannover
    Chris Hannover

Good points, LMR.

JWs are just too boring. They are only interesting to members.

If a child abuse scandal was enough to bring down a religion, the Catholic church would have crumbled. People just don't care if it isn't their kids. Any scandal would be a punchline to some jokes for a week and then something else would distract the masses.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

There are enough skeletons in the JW closet for a decent expose, but it would require many more to band together with one voice and come forward and tell their stories.

I am sure there are plenty of harrowing experiences re suicide, shunning, abuse, domestic violence etc.

I reckon we wouldn't know the half of it.

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

I watched Going Clear last night.

The parallels are amazing.

I would love to see a quality film maker do a documentary like this on JW's.......

• Simon
    Simon

I think JWs have perfected the art of being "mild curiosities" but never really drawing too much attention. Heck, even their publicity campaigns don't attract much attention. It's a big yawn-fest for anyone who isn't impacted by them.

Yes, there are lots of issues ... but not "concentrated" enough to attract massive media attention to the level that Scientology does. It has to be at a level far higher than normal society to warrant media attention OR for there to be a clear case of coverups / wrongdoing.

The Watchtower is just the "meh" of religions.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

We just watched the show tonight.

Could not understand just what is the object of their worship supposed to be? The Hubbard guy? But, they believe in souls surviving death of the body. How do they think Hubbard created souls, being a human born on earth.

No mention of the usual religious belief in any holy book, that churches promote. So what do they actually do in their church services?

The shunning or "disconnecting" was not really delved into, I didn't think. There was more indignation about people agreeing to work for forty cents an hour. (Maybe smarter than jw who work for zero pay.) Plus the defectors being harassed by investigators - that was emphasized.

I couldn't really tell what the original draw is, that they use to recruit. Just that things will go well in your life if you join? Was that it?

Marina

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Seeing as you have brought up the subject of a documentary about JW's, I feel it would be appropriate to post about this again. (Bear in mind that I am not the maker of this film, and do not have any association with it or profit from it in any way).
    The producer is an Ex jehovahs witness, he has arranged screenings around the world and is aiming to use the proceeds to translate and distribute the film as widely as possible. It has had good feedback, even from some Professors.

The abuses explored in TRUTH BE TOLD are part of a wider examination into the culture of undue influence within the Jehovah’s Witnesses religion that continues to violate the basic human rights of members and their families worldwide."
    http://buy.hereliesthetruth.com/

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Here are updates on the project and feedback on the film:

https://facebook.com/hereliesthetruth

And here is the original thread I posted about it:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/289364/truth-told-documentary-now-available-download
    I hope this was of interest to you.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

A film was already produced, nearly 30 years ago. It is called: "Witnesses of Jehovah" by Jeremiah Films.

I came across this gem back in 2005. I was floored. Mainly, because it packed all of the major flaws of that time (that are actually still relevant today) into an hour that felt like a one-two punch to the gut. I was actually physically ill after viewing it. To be smacked with so much information in one spot, in such a short period of time actually caused me illness. I showed it to my mother. She wished she had seen it in 1986, it might have helped her exit sooner. What is really interesting, is to watch this documentary today with the perspective of time passed. They talk about 1914 and how it has to change, just as previous doctrines before my time changed. That part is really gut-wrenching.

Here it is, Enjoy!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VE3zp9FiyiQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/VE3zp9FiyiQ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit