Just Saw "Inception", what do you think of the ending?

by StAnn 10 Replies latest social entertainment

• StAnn
    StAnn

SPOILER ALERT! If you haven't seen the movie, don't read this thread.

• StAnn
    StAnn

I wanted to give my opinion in a separate post, in case anyone wants to heed my warning in my first post.

I think that the whole movie was a dream and that, maybe, the last scene where Cobb goes home is the only one that is actually realistic.

What say ye?

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

It left it open for a sequel... wobbly spinnin' thing!

Me thinks the last scene was a dream too...4 layers of dream

oz

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I thought that it was just about to tip, but he had more important things on his mind. Then Mr Frass pointed out that there was no way his father could have been in LA from Paris to greet him at the airport. Now I think that his father just had faith in him, and that he really did make it home.

• StAnn
    StAnn

What bugs me is that, when they all woke up on the airplane, NOBODY was hooked up. And when they got off the airplane, NOBODY took the suitcase with the magic dream machine in it. And if they'd all been in Fischer's dream, why didn't he look around and say, "Wow! I just had a dream and you were there and you were there and you were there!" It was the way they all acted on the airplane at the end, not speaking to each other, not hooked up at all, etc. that makes me think that the whole movie was just a bad dream Cobb was having because his wife is dead and he wanted to get back home to his kids.

And, like Mr. Frass, I thought it odd that Grandpa was at the airport in the USA when he allegedly had a teaching job in Paris.

• TheListener
    TheListener

Why couldn't his Father in law meet him in LA? They spent a while preparing the job. His FIL would have had a ton of time to fly to LA to be with his wife (the kids grandma who hung up early in the movie).

There were a few things that tell me he was in reality at the end:

1. in dreams he always wore his wedding ring but in real life he didn't. at the end he didn't wear the ring.

2. the kids were older in the end (yes, wearing similar clothes) but in the credits there are two sets of children actors and their ages are given as about 3 years apart.

3. I read a couple of the actors interviews and they said it was their understanding of the film that it was as portrayed and not a gimmicky "all a dream" type of thing. One actor in particular said that the director (Nolan) didn't want to cheapen the film or the audiences experience by making it all a dream but wanted people to think and feel something at the end.

On the other hand:

1. Once DiCaprio told Ellen Page the secret of his spinning top (remember Joseph Gordon-Levitt wouldn't even let her touch his loaded die) I think he could have given her the power to make him think a dream was reality.

2. I read somewhere that Ellen Page may have been a psychiatrist trying to get the truth about DiCaprio's deceased wife and/or to help DiCaprio deal with her loss and move on. She always seemed to be pushing him to discuss his wife and his emotions and circumstances surrounding her.

Anyway I loved the movie; the action and drama and comraderie and the music.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

it was the greatest movie of all time

• StAnn
    StAnn

Yes, Ellen Page was VERY into Leo's feeling's about his wife. Maybe she was a psychiatrist and this was his way of working out his feelings about her death?

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Meh....I stopped caring somewhere around level 3 of Fisher's subconscious.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Wish I hadn't started this thread. Now trying to figure out Ellen Page's real role has been nagging me all day long.

On a similar note, we saw Toy Story 3 this week. I really liked it.

Cheers,

~Serena~

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit