Questions for HomeSchoolers

by RubaDub 12 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I know very little about homeschooling (as will likely be evident by my comments) but it has always fascinated me.

We have one daughter. I could see home schooling in the early years, but after grades 5 or 6, wow ... that would be a challenge. And I have a college degree.

My general comment/question is ... is if someone is that knowledgeable about so many different disciplines (math, science, literature, social studies, history, art, music, etc) why isn't he or she a professional teacher? If someone was really great at fixing my car, why wouldn't that person want to be a mechanic?

In my case, I guess I have learned how much I don't know instead of what I do know. The more you study, the more you learn how much you don't know.

It just would blow my mind to have to sit and read through and "teach" literature ... reading and interpreting Milton's Paradise Lost, Catcher in the Rye, a Tale of Two Cities or some other of those "must-reads" in high school. And then, switch to Algebra, Trigonometry or Calculus ... and then switch to Microbiology, Chemistry or Physics ... throw in French or Protuguese ... maybe a C++ programming class ..........and then ......................

I mean, how much time do you take preparing for all of these subjects ??? It blows my mind thinking about preparing for so much.

And again, if someone is so skilled and knowledgeable in these areas, why not teach as a profession ???

Your comments are welcomed.

Rub a Dub

• garyneal
    garyneal

If I am not mistaken, I think a lot of homeschooler teach from materials that they get from some organization. Now I am showing my ignorance but I can bet homeschoolers are not that versed in all those studies.

And again, if someone is so skilled and knowledgeable in these areas, why not teach as a profession ???

I've been considering this profession off and on for a while since I left college. But I don't know if I have what it takes to teach a room full of kids AND be their disciplinarian. Especially since most of them (from my experience as a sub and a tutor) aren't interested in learning and only like to be disruptive.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Yeah I dated a teacher in High School and so what that I was home schooled. That just means I've got game- Daniel Tosh.

Home school is a joke 95% of the time. The kids can barely read, have 0 reading comprehension, can't form an articulate sentence or a logical thought have no math or science skills and are pretty much useless in society... Just like public school kids!

In all seriousness all the witness kids (and the 1 'worldly' kid) who I know who were home schooled were in fact not schooled at all. They sat home and played video games and watched TV. They usually got together with other home schooled kids and got into trouble smoked pot had sex etc. I look at home schooling as they dropped out and just don't want to really admit they dropped out or they are in a cult or seriously wacky family. I'm sure they are out there but they are the exception that proves the rule to me.

It's worse than a GED in my book. When I'm on a hiring panel and someone says "yeah i was home schooled" I check NO beside my hiring recommendation 90% of the time. That alone does it for me.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Oh and hahaha the one 'worldly' kid I know is a total waste dropped out plays xbox and smokes pot all day. Yeah his mom IS a teacher! ahahahahahahah...

Damn I edited the comment above and now it makes no sense... I meant to say "I'm sure there are good people out there who have been home schooled. However in my opinion they are the exception that proves the rule."

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

field service is part of "home schooling"

• garyneal
    garyneal

I recall one family from my old Indy Fundy church who homeschooled their kids. One of them wanted to go to public school in his senior year and the high school did not accept any of his homeschooling and forced him to start over at the 9th grade. Needless to say, he quit and got his GED.

I personally am not too keen on homeschooling.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I saw alot of adverse things being thrown at me during school.......... All those "adverse" things molded me to what I am today.

homeschooling shelters kids too much, and when the real world kicks in........... what happens?

• yknot
    yknot

I like teaching......

I plan to eventually teach college courses as a my retirement job....

I suppose I could 'clep' to qualify for a liberal arts degree but it isn't in my immediate college plans.

Why not teach now?.....well as I stated on St Ann's thread

1) Overcrowded Classrooms

2) Pay

3) Not wanting to commit myself to a 5-day work week.

Most Homeschooling plans like public school have textbooks and teacher guides that help the teacher present the lessons.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

My only experience with home schooling is JW's I know that did it. Many of the moms I knew didn't even have a highschool education let alone a college education and like you said you don't know that you don't know things unless you at least know some things and they knew nothing! Many of them expressed how nice it was to sleep in and go on vacation whenever they wanted to after they took the children out of school. Are not these some of the great lessons school teaches?

Also many of them (JW's) feel no need for higher studies of biology, literature, or mathmatics so that is not an issue. I've noticed once the boys know the basics like 12 or so they just get in trouble or work with their dad. Girls wait to get married. I really don't have much knowlege of any non JW's that have homeschooled maybe they take it more seriously. NMKA

• yknot
    yknot

Side note....

Socialization skills along with excercise are vital to any child's development.

Yes there are 'shut ins' within the homeschooling ranks but they are 'loners' in public school too.

I am blessed to live in a very uber homeschooling area. Mothers agree to host field trips, hands-on days and even swap courses (ie Erica's hubby is a scientist and is willing to teach chemistry if I teach speech for instance). My kids are also enrolled in other activities like dance, sports, scouting, 4H and kid's volunteering to name a few..

I do believe that a child needs to actively participate in a larger community (ie public school/private school) once they reach high school. I can teach many things but some things must be learned by experience only. Teenagers need structured mini-societies to test their skills and boundaries.

My daughter is entering 6th this year, she is going to try public (her choice, not mine....but part of my teaching is encouraging my children to assert themselves as independents). She got high marks on both the 5th exit and the 6th exit but the district and I feel that putting her in 7th wasn't in her emotional best interests as she is already one of the youngest in her peer group. She won't be challenged educationally but wants to enjoy the electives and getting to ride a bus (roll eyes, she is preoccupied with the bus thing). She already has many social contacts in public school.....the biggest question is ........will she really have the patience to go to school 5-days a week, 7.5 hours? ...... This is a girl who has spent most of her educational career doing half-days, 3-days a week!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit