Is talking about the Trinity, Michael, prophecies, etc, boring...

by serenitynow! 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I think this forum's proclivity of beer fairy discussion is one indicator of this feeling.

I love both the fluff and the dry technical biblical stuff.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

To put it simply... yes. It is boring.

Time to do something more entertaining, like rolling dog turds in wet cement.

• glenster
    glenster

"Boring" is a personal subjective judgment. As it relates to this board
    those topics are pertinent because showing evidence of how the JWs leaders
    misrepresent those and other issues is the core of the expose of them. I
    enjoyed the detective work with that purpose in mind and learning a few
    things for myself along the way.
    http://www.freewebs.com/glenster1/gtjbrooklynindex.htm

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Ummm yeah it is really dull, like watching grass grow. It also reinforces my belief that there is no conclusive evidence that supports any one religion. The Bible is like a guitar: you can make it play any tune you want.

• Dark Side
    Dark Side

The Bible is like a guitar: you can make it play any tune you want.

Well said

• TD
    TD
    Does anyone else just have a lack of desire to try to understand those more complicated parts of the bible?

From that perspective, it is more boring than watching paint dry.

Those discussion revolve around a presupposition (that even seems to be present in your question) which holds that the sixty six book compilation known as the 'Bible' is a single contiguous work from cover to cover rather than a much more loosely organized anthology.

That assumption drives all subsequent reasoning because it becomes very important that the 'Bible' not contradict itself at any point at least, not seriously. That forced harmony is why the Bible appears to be an instrument that can play any tune the interpreter wants.

It also pretty much divorces a lot of ideas and concepts found in the Bible from their cultural and historical sources.

The Bible is a much more fascinating book without that assumption. Paul's running feud with James with his inflammatory language and colorful, veiled insults is hilarious when you don't have that presupposition forcing you to close your eyes to it.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

I mean some parts of the bible are okay. I still love the book of proverbs. There's alot of common sense practical stuff there. It's those big things the trinity, jesus/michael- I get an instant headache just thinking about it. When I was at the KH and they would get into a whole thing about "he was a god" vs "he was god" I would just want to scream. What does it matter anyway they're all translations, not like we're looking at the actual scrolls. Oh well.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Agreed. I am totally bored with discussing doctrine with hard core heretics.

You can never open the eyes of the blind trying to show them what is written on the page! Plus they are totally deaf too :(

Blessings,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit