Why can't you find a good paying job in the United States?

by What-A-Coincidence 13 Replies latest jw friends

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Back in the 50, and 60's when most things were made in the USA, we had no choice.

Today when most things are not made in the USA we have no choice.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I would like to see more American made products that have quality. If everything in the world is made in China, you cannot possibly avoid buying things made in China. If American made goods have a reputation for being crap, people will not buy them. If American made goods are insufficient to do the job, people will not buy them.

Recently, for instance, I bought some more Christmas LED lights. Of course, they were made in China. But, just try finding any quality LED Christmas lights made in the USA for a competitive price (and, I am not referring to the $7 or 8 crap sets that conk out after a few months). I am willing to pay $25 for a set of LED lights, provided there is $25 worth of quality in that set and I am not going to find half the string dark after 6 months. That goes for other things: I am willing to pay top dollar for top quality, but I will not pay top dollar for something just because it happens to be made in the United Osama Obama of America.

• JWoods
    JWoods

You need to remember that those people in China making that Wal-Mart stuff are practically working under slave conditions for slave wages.

Those factories do not have U.S.-style safety or emissions standards.

Their stuff will not be so cheap after this inevitably changes.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

American made stuff IS quality stuff (what little of it remains) and therefore it is too expensive for most Americans to buy. Lost Generation was concise and correct: Americans are far more concerned about price than about buying American (which means quality).

When a consumer sees a product for $8 and an identical looking, though inferior quality product for $2, he/she is far more likely to buy the $2 product, even if the lifetime of the $8 version is well more than four times that of the $2 one. The Chinese are getting rich making cheap junk and selling it at high volumes because that's how we tend to shop.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit