Any Other Home Schoolers on Here?

by StAnn 24 Replies latest jw friends

• StAnn
    StAnn

It's getting to be that time of year again. I don't really want to gear up for the new school year but have no choice!

Anybody else here homeschool and, if so, what curriculum do you use?

Going to bed now. Been up all night installing Microsoft Office on my MAC.

• StAnn
    StAnn

bttt

• StAnn
    StAnn

bttt

• tec
    tec

I don't homeschool... yet. I'm waiting to see how my son does in junior high. If its going to be bad... well, I'll have to cross that road when I come to it. I haven't ruled out homeschooling - though I think I'd switch him to the public system first, to try that and give him a fresh start away from the kids he's grown up with.

There's so foul-mouthed and hateful with one another, though its apparently just the cool way to talk. (I'm not excluding my son, mind you) Is that normal for 10-12 year olds? (Boys)

Tammy

• StAnn
    StAnn

What do you mean you'd switch him to the public system first? Is he in private school now?

I'm not sure that foul-mouthed and hateful is ever an acceptable way to talk, cool or not. I wouldn't consider it normal, even if it was what the majority of his associates were doing.

• tec
    tec

He's in a Catholic school.

I don't think foul mouthed is acceptable at all, and I don't allow it if I hear it (or read it in e-mails, etc.) But I'm just wondering if it is a normal toughguy boy phase (for this day and age). Because if it is, then it will be wherever else he goes as well.

Tammy

• changeling
    changeling

I was homeschooled for three years. I know you have good intentions, but, I'm begging you, don't do this to your kids. Allow them to be "normal" and give them the tools to deal with whatever life throws at them.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Hi StAnn I home schooled my daughter for one year in her secondary education here in the UK. It was hard going but worth it at the time, as she was going through some problems. She passed her GCSEs with such high marks a couple of years later. Now doing her A levels in prep for Uni.

Loz x

• yknot
    yknot

I am a homeschooling mom..... If you have a natural affinity.....it will be a blessing, if not then it will be a tedious chore. I am not home right now but will talk "shop" later tonight. You must be organized and plan ahead........or you will feel overwhelmed quickly

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

What worked best for us was an "online academy", operated as a charter school by the school district. They offer assistance from certified teachers, online discussions of lessons, conducted the required state testing, kept track of progress and grades, set up field trips, etc. The quality of home school programs does vary, so check into the options where you live to see which will fit your family's needs.

We home-schooled up to the high school level. It was hard work, but it has been worth it. Our youngest is now doing very well at the local public HS. You get results according to the effort and dedication you put in. From what I can tell from your posts here, you have the makings of a good home-school parent: you know your stuff, are willing to work hard, and really care about your children.

Good luck!

(check your PM)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit