US Blood Banks Reject Temporary UK Residents ??

by AudeSapere 10 Replies latest watchtower medical

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

2 years ago I attempted to donate. There were so many questions that were asked of me (and all donors). Most questions made sense or were explained by the technician. However, the questions about temporary residence in UK and parts of Europe were never answered for me.

Does anyone know WHY the US Blood Banks do not accept the blood of anyone who lived in the UK for more than 3 months between 1980 and now? Similarly, why is having lived in any of roughly 30 european countries since 1980 or 1990 equal cause for rejection??

I'm curious to know the answer.

-Aude.

PS: Details of donation experience are detailed here: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/experiences/162439/1/First-Time-Blood-Donor

• nelly136
    nelly136

CJD

• nelly136
    nelly136

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovine_spongiform_encephalopathy

the human variant is cjd, there was a breakout here years back.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Crutzfeld-Jakob disease, the human version of "Mad Cow Disease". From the donor brochure:

Blood donor tests may not be available for some contagious diseases that are found only in certain countries. If you were born in, lived in or visited certain countries, you may not be eligible to donate.

It isn't just the UK, this applies to 31 different European countries. There are also restrictions if you have been to countries where there is high risk for malaria. See the details, as published by the Red Cross.

• wobble
    wobble

I have lived in the U.K all my life, and have been O.K'd to donate here.

Is the U.K Blood Service taking a risk ?

• nelly136
  • nelly136
  • AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Thanks for the responses. Guess that mostly answers my question.

wobble wrote: Is the U.K Blood Service taking a risk ?

Beats me. I would guess not for a British resident. But I don't really know.

Maybe someone else here knows the answer??

-Aude.

• Robdar
    Robdar

I am a U.S. citizen and the blood banks will not accept my donation because of the two weeks I spent in the UK in 2000. The blood banks say I could have been exposed to CJD.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I have lived in the U.K all my life, and have been O.K'd to donate here.

Is the U.K Blood Service taking a risk ?

Yeah they sure are - Bear Blood is different to human blood. Especially bears that over indulge in Honey based treats!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit