NY Town Considering 'Do Not Knock' List

by What-A-Coincidence 11 Replies latest jw friends

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

http://consumerist.com/2010/07/ny-town-considering-do-not-knock-list.html

POSTER WROTE:

I had this problem when I was in college many years ago... Every SATURDAY morning about 7am, these morons would show up and bang on the door until we awoke... Keep in mind we were undergrads and yeah, we drank to excess on Friday night/early sat AM...

After 5 times of chasing them off, I invited them in. Sat down on the couch, pulled out an empty .38, and started loading it slowly (pointed at floor). They left fast, never came back. *ahhhh* blissful sleep....

• What-A-Coincidence
  • wobble
    wobble

Interesting that in the submission to the Supreme Court, back in 2002. the self-righteous JW's claim to be following the example of J.C in going door to door.

Some smart-ass lawyer should have asked them to show the Court from the Bible where Jesus is shown going D to D.

• blondie
    blondie

I wonder why people who make their living by selling from door to door would annoy their potential customers by coming by at 7 a.m.?

Never as a jw did I call that early at someone's door nor did I know of anyone who did that so I think you must be talking about some other individual or group.

We had university territory and knew not to call before 11 a.m.

Of course we did have some tense guys in the countryside that it didn't matter when or who came by and that gun came out.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Well, irregardless of the time (or the gun thing) - I don't see why a "do not knock" law is any worse than a "do not call" law to prevent the abuse of telephone solicitation.

Especially if it is at the option of the homeowner to be on the list or not.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

The comments section for that article are hilarious............

chiieddy July 28, 2010 2:52 PM Moderate | Flag for review

Would this include Jehovah's Witnesses? Please?

dolemite July 28, 2010 2:25 PM Moderate | Flag for review

I'm about to put a note on my front door that says "Dear nice Jehovas Witnesses,

I'm sorry, I appreciate your persistance, but we simply aren't interested. You seem like nice people, but we aren't in the market for a new religion. Thanks."

Seriously, they've been by like 5x in the past 1.5 months. I guess I'm too nice.

Danielle74 July 28, 2010 2:35 PM Moderate | Flag for review

In the past month alone I've had Mormons, Jehovas Witnesses, window washers, people trying to persuade me to change gas companies and a few questionable charities. I wanted to put up a NO SOLICITING sign on our door, but my husband thought it would be tacky.

I would welcome a "Do Not Knock" registry in our neighbourhood

And as always, a loyal dub makes their presense felt.........

fitterhans July 30, 2010 9:53 AM Moderate | Flag for review

The right to knock on door has been legally established in a recent Supreme Court case Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York Inc. v. Village of Stratton, Ohio, 2002. While whole towns do not have the right to legally bar door to door visitors, householders or residents are free to place signage or request that people not visit them at their door. Remember that this right is intertwined in this country with freedom of speech, which many want to use for themselves but sometimes do not want to give to others who they do not agree with

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Put a sign that says, "Dear Jehovah's Witnesses - Please knock door if you want to be shot."

• undercover
    undercover
    The right to knock on door has been legally established in a recent Supreme Court case Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York Inc. v. Village of Stratton, Ohio, 2002. While whole towns do not have the right to legally bar door to door visitors, householders or residents are free to place signage or request that people not visit them at their door. Remember that this right is intertwined in this country with freedom of speech, which many want to use for themselves but sometimes do not want to give to others who they do not agree with

While that's true it doesn't apply to what this town is considering. They aren't banning door to door activity, they're creating a registry that if one doesn't want to recieve door to door solicitors then they can sign up. It takes effort on the part of the home owner to basically say, "Don't knock on my door". While the registry may mean more work and coordination on the door knocking organizations, it does not prohibit them or ban them from continuing in their activity.

• Gayle
    Gayle

The funniest comment I saw was about one turning on the sprinklers (hooked up from around the back or something) when they see JW coming to the door. (oopsie - so sorry)

• What-A-Coincidence

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit