Dearest Tec... re the Rich Man and Lazarus..

by AGuest 44 Replies latest jw friends

• donuthole
    donuthole
    "... send him to the house of my father, for I have five brothers, in order that he may give them a thorough witness, that they also should not get into this place of torment.' But Abraham said, 'They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to these.' Then he said, 'No, indeed, father Abraham, but if someone from the dead goes to them they will repent.' But he said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be persuaded if someone rises from the dead.'"

The interesting thing that never occurred to me is that what this rich man requested actually happened. Lazarus did rise from the dead and rather than be persuaded by this, they conspired to kill him.

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

The Lazarus that Jesus raised from the dead was a different Lazarus than this one. Two men with the same name. The Lazarus that Jesus raised was not poor.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

deleted

• donuthole
    donuthole
    The Lazarus that Jesus raised from the dead was a different Lazarus than this one. Two men with the same name. The Lazarus that Jesus raised was not poor.

I don't know that is necessarily the case. We really don't know the financial circumstance of him and has family. But, Bethany was not Beverly Hills. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethany_(Biblical_village) As Jesus said while staying there, "You will always have the poor with you." Nevertheless wouldn't it seem a bit beyond coincidence that we are talking about two men that had the same name, that both had leprosy, that were both raised from the death?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Just one thing though, well there is more than oen thing, but for now:

What is noteworthy here and what many people MISS... is that the rich man... WAS BURIED. Lazarus, however, was NOT buried, but "carried [away] by the angels."

Lazarus WAS buried.

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

I didn't say that the Lazarus that Jesus raised was rich. I said that he wasn't poor. He had his own home and his sister had owned spikenard which was costly. He was raised, but the other Lazarus wasn't. There is no indication that the one had leprosy. No, it is not a strange thing that there are two Lazarus' in the Bible. I know that there are at least two Simons and two Josephs.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

"I have been to that place and can/will explain that, as well, if you wish...."

Please do. I'd like to hear the story.

I believe the Lord would not use a parable teaching a false principle. If there was no life after death, why would he, as a master teacher, use such to teach a false doctrine? Remember, the idea of a spirit continuing on after death is a pagan teaching...something those crazy Greeks conceptualized. So why would the Lord use it. It would be as if Jesus had said, "Ba'al, Zeus and Jehovah were arguing over which one was more powerful, and Zeus said...."

While a Greek philosopher might construct such as a teaching method, I can't see Jesus doing it.

• Ding
    Ding

There's another current thread on the rich man and Lazarus. You might want to read those posts as well.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Hi Ding,

There is another thread on the Rich Man and Lazarus, but it keeps disappearing.

I'm just learning the ropes around here but it seems threads don't necessarily stay in the same location.

Any ideas?

• theMadJW
    theMadJW

Interesting thoughts on that Parable, AG- but STILL wrong: angels don't come and carry every good person that changes form (the meaning of "death" in churchese), Hades/Hell/the Grave- has no people living in it somewhere underground!

The KEY in understanding it STARTS with knowing who in the crowd was WEARING purple and linen!

(AND knowing Satan- and CHURCHianity- lied; that Adam and Eve DID die (stop living) and return to the ground they were formed from!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit