Swedish Film: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

by leavingwt 22 Replies latest social entertainment

• serendipity
    serendipity

Agree on Noomi Rapace - she portrayed the characters as I imagined her when I read the books months ago. It will be hard to beat the Swedish version of this film.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

I've read the books and seen the Swedish sub-titled 1st film. I loved them all. There is a strong political feminist theme, despite the graphic scenes I love the whole series. The author Stieg Larsson wrote this refreshingly different trilogy and then upped and died. Yes he's snuffed it. I mourn him. I think he is one off the most thought provoking authors of recent years, I am only sorry there will be no more. Roll on the ressurection. We could do with some good meaty sexually explicit entertainment in the new order.

SF

• Scully
    Scully

I'm enjoying the books. The main character is a survivor of many injustices in the truest sense of the word. She is also someone I wouldn't want to be enemies with.

• Scully
    Scully

Watched the first movie last night on DVD, used the voice-over version instead of the subtitled version. The storyline was fairly close to the book, although I'm not sure how it would ever be possible to cram 20 hours of reading into a 2½ hour film.

Going to see the second instalment - The Girl Who Played With Fire - at the movies tomorrow.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Going to see the second instalment - The Girl Who Played With Fire - at the movies tomorrow.

Scully -- Did you enjoy the second film?

• Scully
    Scully

Ended up not being able to go - my movie-going partner-in-crime doesn't care for subtitled films... I'll look for it when it comes out on DVD.

Although I just noticed that it is now playing at the el-cheapo cinema near me. I may just go see it by myself.

• Scully
    Scully

Saw the sequel yesterday, in Swedish with English subtitles, and my movie-going partner-in-crime came along because she enjoyed the first movie.

Very well done, although lots of details in the book were altered to keep the film to a reasonable length.

Now, I'm waiting for the final instalment: The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Scully -- Thank you for this update. I'm waiting for the second film to be released on DVD. Many, here cannot read English, so we rarely get the opportunity to see films with subtitltes at the theater.

• Scully
    Scully

leavingwt

We were actually surprised at the number of Swedish words that sounded exactly the same as their English counterparts.

We both chuckled at the furniture boxes from IKEA.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Haven't seen the movies. But after 2 books, (Played with Fire and Dragon tattoo) I feel that they both needed a strong dose of editing. Over seven hundred pages !? Could have been better books at 3 or 4 hundred pgs. Lots of character background development - most of it unrelated to the story narrative.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit