Field Service Injuries

by bazackward 11 Replies latest jw friends

• bazackward
    bazackward

So some background -- I have two JW relatives. My grandma is something like 85 yrs old and has been a JW for most of her life. She pretty much believes everything from the WT and has dedicated her life to it. She is also probably the nicest person in the world. The other relative is my aunt, who is absolutely bat s--- crazy! (She met her now-reinstated elder husband in a mental hospital if that helps explain anything.) She is also probably the biggest attention whore on the planet ...and it's not hard to get attention when you're whacko. My grandma and aunt both go to different halls.

My aunt has been bugging her elders for awhile about my grandma because my mom, who grew up as a JW but was never baptised (phew!) and is "worldly" or whatever, takes care of my grandma -- including her medical care. (My aunt is under the impression that my mom is just waiting for my grandma to get a hang nail so she can rush out and get her three blood transfusions.) Each week my mom takes my grandma out to do her shopping, run errands, and takes her out to lunch where my grandma will have *one* beer. (After being a JW for 50-something years she probably needs a lot more than one beer!) So my aunt tells her elders that my grandma goes out drinking with her worldly daughter every week. She repeats this enough and finally a mini goon squad of two elders show up at my grandma's apartment.

Grandma answers the door finding these elders there and invites them in. The first thing one of them says is "Oh, I see we interrupted your gambling" because my grandma was playing solitaire on the computer. So the bottom line of the conversation is they tell my grandma that if she has time for gambling and drinking then she has more time for field service.

Fast forward to this past weekend and my grandma is out in "the service," falls, and smashes her head on the pavement. She wasn't seriously injured (she's a tough lady!), but what would they do for her if she was seriously hurt? Would they just be worried about whether or not she's going to have a blood transfusion, or would they actually be taking care of her medical bills or something like that? Would they even ask for financial help from the people at the hall? (Having been a JW for most of her life, my grandma doesn't exactly have any money.)

• wasblind
    wasblind

I am so glad that you brought this up.

After my child graduated from high school some years back. It was suggested that it would be best if my child took a year or two to do full time FS work.

I stated that if my child didn't go to college they wouldn't have any health coverage because at the time i was not working, and that while in college they would at least be covered, and my question was what if anything happens in FS, how would i pay the medical bills without insurance.

The reply was wait on Jehovah.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Sorry to hear about your grandma, bazackward.

"The reply was wait on Jehovah"

I swear the elders are the best exit tool the society has. Continued articles on elder behavior and admonishing the congregation to respect them leads me to believe that elders continue to be a problem. Many elders are not respected because they are not deserving. Though I am sure there are a few hard-working and kind elders out there, I just don't think they are very well rewarded for their labours. The structure of the society attracts and rewards company men, masters at the double life, who have no time for the flock.

When it comes to demanding door-to-door work from the congregation, the society is on very shaky legal ground. Volunteers injured while on duty are very much like employees and the society does have an obligation to protect them. Sending an eighty-year-old woman out in to field service? Unbelievable.

I'd like to see that elder put that in writing on official letterhead. See how that holds up in court.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Also why throw away an education, when you worked so hard to earn the scholarships.

• nelly136
    nelly136

i would check out their charity status and the laws regarding charitys and their responsibilities to volunteers, i know i keep bringing this up but they do have a duty of care to volunteers if they are a registered charity and want to continue using the perks of being classed as a charity.

• nelly136
    nelly136

religion aside they are bound by secular charity rules. the charity commission here has rules that have to be adhered to or you can lose charity status.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

interesting...

I thought they were considered independent "contractors"...or is that just the elders?

I don't see them paying for any injuries while out hounding people!

• nelly136
    nelly136

I don't see them paying for any injuries while out hounding people!

it probably doesnt occur to jws that they have any rights when it comes to things like that

• nelly136
    nelly136
    http://www.charitycommission.gov.uk/publications/cc49.aspx#15

Part 1: General
    Why insurance may be necessary or desirable for charities

3. The trustees of a charity have a duty to safeguard the property of the charity not only from direct loss or damage but also from third party liabilities which would otherwise have to be satisfied out of the property of the charity. If trustees unreasonably fail to discharge this duty they may be personally liable to make good the charity's losses. Because of this, it may be appropriate to take out insurance as a means of discharging this duty.

4. Examples of types of insurance to cover against loss or damage are:

• buildings insurance;
    • contents insurance; or
    • event insurance.

5. Examples of types of insurance to cover against liability are:

• professional indemnity insurance;
    • employers' liability insurance; or
    • public liability insurance.
    Part 4: Other associated issues and sources of information
    Insurance of volunteers

62. The trustees may need to seek advice as to the rights and position of volunteers, which may not be the same as those of employees. It is important to ensure that volunteers as well as employees receive adequate training and supervision and that they and those that they come into contact with in fulfilment of their role are afforded care for their well-being, for example in accordance with the duties imposed by legislation such as the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. The trustees are advised to regard volunteers as being employees for insurance purposes and to ensure that they are appropriately covered by the usual types of insurance a charity might buy, such as that for employers' liability or public liability. The policy will need to be checked to see how it defines what the term 'volunteer' means for the purposes of that policy and the trustees should keep accurate records of the volunteers working for the charity who fall within that definition.

Motor insurance

43. Where a charity owns or operates motor vehicles, the trustees must comply with the provisions of the Road Traffic Acts, which make it compulsory to have insurance against third party injury and property damage. If trustees, employees or volunteers are using their own vehicles for the purposes of the charity or on the business of the charity, the trustees must ensure that the insurance held by the owner of the vehicle extends to such use. Any additional premiums incurred in this respect may be met from the income of the charity. hqw

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

but is that how it is here in the US????

where's blondie when we need her? or mary???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit