JW teaching aside, do you belive in spanking children?

by highdose 29 Replies latest jw friends

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I want to add that before my stepkids came into my life, I believed in spanking. When they came to live with us, I changed my mind. My stepdaughter was a dream come true...I yelled at her once during her whole childhood. My stepson, on the other hand, was a real challenge. He had ADHD, and nothing worked as far as punishment went. We were so consistent with punishment that it got to the point where he would pack up his video games and television when he knew he had bad grades on his impending interim and report cards, LOL. By the time he graduated from high school he learned how to keep things together, and I'm glad we never spanked him. The thought of hitting a child just doesn't sit right with me. Now our kids have kds of their own, and they have smacked a diapered rear end on occasion, bu it ends there.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

If it is a life preserving lesson, such as not running into the road yes.

A young child has no concept of its own death, but can understand "if you run into the road I will spank you."

My friends little girl kept releasing her child restraint in the back of the car. They kept putting her back and tried other ways to stop this. One day on a freeway she got out and started pulling the drivers seat back and forward. This was FUN.

After the spanking, she stayed in her seat.

Lets not start acting like the WT and make lists of when to spank and not to. Most good parents know how to bring their kids up without wearing out their behinds.

HB

• RebeccaChi
    RebeccaChi

Some kids need to get smacked along with their parents!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My parents used to love to tell this story:

When I was almost 3 I would have crying fits when I didn't get my way, then I would hyperventilate and pass out. The last time I did it was in front of my father's mother while I was getting a whooping from my father. I passed out, which highly upsetted my grandmother, and my father continued to whoop me until I came to.

My parents were proud of that story. I think it was pure child abuse.

• mrsjones5
  • Quillsky
    Quillsky
    My parents used to love to tell this story:

When I was almost 3 I would have crying fits when I didn't get my way, then I would hyperventilate and pass out. The last time I did it was in front of my father's mother while I was getting a whooping from my father. I passed out, which highly upsetted my grandmother, and my father continued to whoop me until I came to.

My parents were proud of that story. I think it was pure child abuse.

Well that story certainly shut us all up, didn't it? I honestly don't know what to say. How long did your father spend in jail? What exactly is a "whoop"? Beating with a hand? Back of the hand, front of the hand or fist? Where on the little one's body is one permitted to "whoop"? Is "whooping" a convictable physical abuse in your state or country? Is a "whoop" okay if it makes a child pass out? Are you allowed to "whoop" anybody's children or only ones you are meant to be caring for? Anyone else here care to tell us how they love to "whoop" children?

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

Thanks for sharing your story, Mrs J.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I stayed with a family for several months. Their kid was an arsehole. He wasn't even old enough to talk, but he still ruled the house.

I foolishly agreed to look after him while they went out for dinner.

Rule #1, (their rule), was don't eat the dog food.

They had been gone a minute....

....yum, dog food.

Me "Don't eat the dog food!"

.... grabs a fistfull and shoves it in his face....

WHOP on his nappied arse.

The kid was an angel for the rest of the night and went to sleep when I told him to, (that never happened for his parents for the whole time I lived with them), and he didn't cause any more bother till his parent's arrived home and he heard his mum open the door and he started howling.

I had no trouble with him for the rest of my stay. He was my little Angel and we got on well. His parent's couldn't say the same.

• carvin
    carvin

In the 60's Dr. B. Spock wrote that if you spank a child they learn violence which leads to more violent crime. So spanking was reduced and the violent crime rate plumited -Oops no it didn't, it went up.

Spanking is not violence, beating out of anger, hatred or selfishness is. Used only when nessasary, and along with age appropriate council spanking is useful and does not harm a child.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Thanks for sharing your story, Mrs J.

You're welcome, it's one of the first of the little gems of how my parents treated me. I would ike to say that things got better but I would be lying. The whoopings (spankings) stopped when I was about 11 but the mental abuse never stiopped and still goes on...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit