Sometimes Race does matter...

by mrsjones5 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Dark Side
    Dark Side

Thank you, in spite of the attitude, Mrs. Jones.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I'm sorry but I'm not your child...there was no attitude but there is now.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

On a related subject, what research and progress has recently been done on sickle-cell anemia? I thought I read once that this is unusually common in both black and european jewish bloodlines and that it was enhanced by close blood relationships and inheritence.

I recently read of a new treatment for adults who have sickle cell that involves bone marrow. Kinda ironic huh?

A revolutionary new procedure for stem cell transplant is reversing the effects of severe adult sickle cell disease. For years, adults suffering from sickle cell anemia have relied on consistent blood transfusions and drug treatments to combat the disorder. Bone marrow transplants can reverse sickle cell, but have so far been restricted to children in the early stages of the disease. That is, until now.

http://singularityhub.com/2010/06/13/bone-marrow-stem-cells-reverse-sickle-cell-disease/

• Dark Side
    Dark Side

"there was no attitude but there is now"

Damn! God help me now

• TD
    TD

Very interesting MrsJones (Josie?) That's much less invasive than conventional BMT

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Did you see the program on PBS about the high infant mortality rate in Memphis?

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Thank you for the info. I knew about sickle cell disease but I didn't realize that many blacks felt that way.

I must admit I am caucasian but still feel the same way, I don't trust the government run projects either. I have seen a lot of experiments that they have secretly run without telling the people what they were doing. I might add this is also happening to the Vets of our country.

What did Ion(Dansk) have? Was his bone marrow or just stem cell. .I can't remember. It kept him going for quite a while tho. We all had big hopes for him bless his soul.

Again, thank you for the info. My Grandson is in Africa right now, maybe he should start a donation campaign...too bad he is only there for two weeks.

Snoozy

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Thanks Josie,

My daughter is a carrier of the sickle cell gene so she has to be very careful about who she decides to marry and have children with, I appreciate this information.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I thought I read once that this is unusually common in both black and european jewish bloodlines and that it was enhanced by close blood relationships and inheritence.

That's not what I've read about the origin of the condition, what I've found seem more plausible:

Sickle-cell disease, usually presenting in childhood, occurs more commonly in people (or their descendants) from parts of tropical andsub-tropical regions where malaria is or was common. One-third of all indigenous inhabitants of Sub-Saharan Africa carry the gene [2] , because in areas where malaria is common, there is a survival value in carrying only a single sickle-cell gene (sickle cell trait). [3] Those with only one of the two alleles of the sickle-cell disease are more resistant to malaria, since the infestation of the malaria plasmodium is halted by the sickling of the cells which it infests. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sickle-cell_disease

The existence of haplotypes specific to certain regions of the world suggests that the mutant beta globin gene arose separately in these locations. 21 All of the areas in question have been or are now endemic locations of malarial infestation. This observation is consistent with the idea that the high incidence of sickle mutation in these areas is derived from natural selection. 22 The mutation that produces sickle hemoglobin occurs spontaneously at a low rate. People with one sickle hemoglobin gene and one normal hemoglobin gene (sickle cell trait) are somewhat more resistant to malaria than people with two normal hemoglobin genes. The widely accepted theory is that Hb S offers selective protection against falciparum malaria probably because of induction of sickling even at physiological oxygen tension by P. falciparum followed by sequestration of parasitized red cells deep with in reticulo-endothelial system where microenvironment is hostile for parasite growth. 23 , 24 Thus people with sickle cell trait would have a better chance of surviving an outbreak of malaria and passing their genes (sickle and normal hemoglobin) to the next generation when they have children. The remarkable stability of sickle gene in Africa which allows it to remain at a relatively constant level in a population without being eliminated is thought to be because of most widely accepted theory of balanced polymorphism. 25 , 26 , 27 http://www.ispub.com/ostia/index.php?xmlFilePath=journals/ijhe/vol1n2/sickle.xml

P.S. You're welcome Truthseekeriam and I'm glad so many folks got something out of this information that I was able to share.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

His question was "What country would be a good example of treating blacks well that the US could look at to emulate?"

France?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit