The Greek Word Parousia! How should it be trasnslated?

by wannabe 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The meaning of parousia depends on the context. "Arrival" and "coming" are definitely within the semantic scope of the word. The difference between these and "presence" is that the former signify changes in a state (i.e. becoming present), whereas the latter indicates a state (the state of being present). Context shows whether this state is a change from an earlier state (i.e. being absent) or not. The intimation that parousia could not mean "arrival" or "coming" is not correct.

In NT eschatological usage, it is clear that a change in state is implied. For example, a state alone is durative and not a distinct "moment", whereas a change of state is punctual and could be described as a discrete event. Such is the case in the synoptic eschatological discourse, which emphasizes the suddenness of this event.

• Mary
    Mary

While I'm no linguistic, it's fairly easy to use common sense regarding the parousia Jesus spoke of. Does anyone actually believe that 'while they were sitting on the Mount of Olives, Jesus' disciples came to him and said: Tell us, when will these things be. What will be the sign of your invisible presence 2,000 years from now which none of us will be around to see and which will be based on faulty data and of the conclusion of this system of things?'

There's nothing in the scriptures that even hints that the Second Coming would be invisible. It was an absurd concoction that Russell invented when Jesus failed to 'take them home' in 1914.

• alice.in.wonderland
    alice.in.wonderland

Just use a New Testament Greek Lexicon.

http://www.biblestudytools.com/lexicons/greek/kjv/parousia.html

Definition

presence the coming, arrival, advent
    the future visible return from heaven of Jesus, to raise the dead, hold the last judgment, and set up formally and gloriously the kingdom of God

The rendering is fitting according to the King James Greek Lexicon.

• alice.in.wonderland
    alice.in.wonderland

Using “coming” lays the groundwork for an indefinite time span and is probably more attractive to some than a finite time span.

• Chalam
    Chalam

alice.in.wonderland Using “coming” lays the groundwork for an indefinite time span and is probably more attractive to some than a finite time span.

Only for the WT. They do not want Jesus coming back, certainly not as the scripture foretell.

Matthew 24:26-27 (New International Version)

26 "So if anyone tells you, 'There he is, out in the desert,' do not go out; or, 'Here he is, in the inner rooms,' do not believe it. 27 For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.

Jesus coming is not some time indefinite but at a time when everyone will see Him.

Revelation 1:7-8 (New International Version)

7 Look, he is coming with the clouds,
    and every eye will see him,
    even those who pierced him;
    and all the peoples of the earth will mourn because of him. So shall it be! Amen.

8 "I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty."

Revelation 22:12-13 (New International Version)

12 "Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done. 13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

Yes, Jesus is the Alpha and the Omega, the Lord and God, just as Thomas said.

John 20:28 (New International Version)

28 Thomas said to him, "My Lord and my God!"

Blessings,

Stephen

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Bumping!

I am trying to understand the NWT's appendix, namely 5b, Christ's presence ( Parousia ) Any thoughts!? I was going to fact check every quotation in the NWT appendix 5b, but I was hoping someone else has already done it. That is some heavy reading for a country bumpkin.

I feel in my heart that the WTBTS is wrong. I just have not got it straight in my own mind yet. I am reaching one of those points where I need a break...

• *lost*
    *lost*

Data-Dog I did a post recently.

On the Misapplication of Mtt and Signs of Jesus return. ( signs-Jesus has the scripture been mis-read)

Some of the more knowledgeable ones gave some very good info on it.

Thank you for bumping this post. It never entered my mind that WT aare possibly being devious and intentional about it.

regards

• barry
    barry

I would guess everyone would translate as comming before 1850 because only after this time presents was intergrated into the meaning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit