Rev Jesse Jackson's comments - racist or not?

by UnConfused 21 Replies latest social current

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

http://www.essence.com/news/hot_topics_4/jesse_jackson_lebron_comments.php

Reverend Jesse Jackson isn't taking Cleveland Cavalier's owner Dan Gilbert's comments about LeBron James lightly. Gilbert recently made headlines for writing a scathing open letter to James after the star basketball player signed with the Miami Heat last week.

In his letter Gilbert called James "disloyal" and added that Cleveland fans didn't "deserve this kind of cowardly behavior." Jackson says Gilbert spoke like "an owner of LeBron and not the owner of the Cleveland Cavaliers."

"He sees LeBron as a runaway slave," the reverend told the Associated Press. "LeBron is not a child, nor is he bound to play on Gilbert's plantation and be demeaned. He has been a model citizen and has inspired the children of Akron. Cleveland, the state of Ohio and the United States."

Jackson's comments made him a trending topic on Twitter last night. Sports commentator Stephen A. Smith chimed in, tweeting: "I do not think it was right for Jesse Jackson to bring up race. However, I do believe his sentiments are shared by a lot of folks in the African-American community."

Read more: http://www.essence.com/news/hot_topics_4/jesse_jackson_lebron_comments.php#ixzz0uGAYpXFI

• beksbks
    beksbks

Stupid at the least.

• wiser
    wiser

Most African Americans do not refer to Jesse Jackson, as Rev. Jesse Jackson. He is what JW's call a wordly person. His focus is on worldly issues and not Christ.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

For the money Lebron is making, I'd consider picking cotton and calling White people massa!

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Jesse Jackson is as big a piece of shit as Glenn Beck is. They are the Yin and the Yang of Assholishness in this country.

• Opus92
    Opus92

You nailed it, sooner. Idiocy knows no color.

• wasblind
    wasblind

"Idiocy knows no color."

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

Jessie J has made a career out of running to the defence of those experiencing even the most feeble racial injustices. So much so that it seems to me, he's lost his good name and much of his credibility, as did the boy who cried wolf.

• RebeccaChi
    RebeccaChi

I block out anything he says. He has completely gone off the deep end.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

jesse jackson is master at getting rich off of racism.

if you don't donate to his cause, he will try to bring you down.

like legal extortion

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit