According to the WTS, who are fulfilling Jesus' prediction that there will be many false prophets in the last days?

by Olin Moyles Ghost 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

The Bible predicts that there will be many false prophets in the Last Days. Here are some examples:

• Matthew 24:11: "Many false prophets will arise and will mislead many."
    • Mark 13:22: "for false Christs and false prophets will arise, and will show signs and wonders, in order to lead astray, if possible, the elect."

As we know, the WTS says that these are the Last Days. Thus, they should be able to point out "many" false prophets as Jesus predicted in Matthew 24:11.

But, in a transparent attempt to avoid accountability for myriad Watchtower failed predictions, the Society has redefined the word "prophet." The Watchtower and its followers contend that as long as you're interpreting something already written in the Bible, then you can't be a false prophet. Thus, the Watchtower definition of "prophet" is so narrow that it's basically impossible to be a false prophet.

In Watchtower-land, I could open the Bible to a random page--say, Haggai 2:21 "Speak to Zerubbabel governor of Judah, saying, 'I am going to shake the heavens and the earth," and assert that this verse means that there is going to be an earthquake in Alabama at 2:21 tomorrow morning--and I wouldn't be a false prophet because I'm just "interpreting Bible prophecy."

See how absurd this Watchtower logic becomes? As I mentioned in another thread, Watchtower logic excuses hucksters like Hal Lindsey (Late Great Planet Earth) and Ed Whisenant (88 Reasons Why the Rapture Will Be in 1988) from being false prophets because those guys tie their predictions to Daniel, Revelation, etc. Heck, even David Koresh based his predictions on the Bible. But none of these clowns are false prophets in Watchtower-land!

Since it's so difficult to meet the Watchtower test for a "prophet," then who in the world are these "many false prophets" that Jesus predicted would be roaming around in the Last Days? Any takers?

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster
    But, in a transparent attempt to avoid accountability for myriad Watchtower failed predictions, the Society has redefined the word "prophet." The Watchtower and its followers contend that as long as you're interpreting something already written in the Bible, then you can't be a false prophet.

What publication is this in? I'd like to read it.

• JWoods
    JWoods

An excellent post, and an excellent point, OMG.

Apologist Debator is pushing this "not really prophets" idea on brotherdans thread - wonder what he thinks about this?

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Mythbuster: What publication is this in? I'd like to read it.

This type of reasoning is common in WTS publications and in arguments from WTS supporters. Poster "brotherdan" has a thread recounting a conversation with a JW who made similar arguments. One example is the 3/22/1993 Awake on page 3 under the heading "Why so many false alarms":

They are voicing expectations based on their own interpretation of some scripture text or physical event. They do not claim that their predictions are direct revelations from Jehovah and that in this sense they are prophesying in Jehovah's name. Hence, in such cases, when their words do not come true, they should not be viewed as false prophets such as those warned against at Deuteronomy 18:20-22. In their human fallibility, they misinterpreted matters.

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

Thanks!

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Haggai 2:22 and Alabama 2:22 analogy. It gives license for anyone to use this tactic and avoid the title of "false prophet". Right?

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Thanks @brotherdan and @JWoods. Seems like it's nearly impossible to be a "false prophet" under the WTS definition. Makes me wonder where are the "many false prophets" that Jesus talked about...

In fact, even the 2012 doomsday crackpots can dodge the "false prophet" label under the Watchtower definition of the term. They're merely interpreting ancient Mayan calendars...they're not originating prophecy!

• JWoods
    JWoods
    In fact, even the 2012 doomsday crackpots can dodge the "false prophet" label under the Watchtower definition of the term. They're merely interpreting ancient Mayan calendars...they're not originating prophecy!

You know - I have heard some "stock investment counselors" that had that sort of spin, now that I think about it.

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Yep, it all boils down to a desire to avoid accountability. But, as it often does, the WTS has weaved quite a "tangled web" with this one.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

I think that any of the active witnesses that actually believe the WBTS bullshit are the false prophets. They're going from door to door prophesying that the end is coming "soon", this "generation." So maybe 5 million of them actually believe it wholeheartedly? I would consider that "many."

I'm kinda joking, but kinda not...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit