AUDIO: "Dubnesia" demonstrated. JWs can not recall what they heard in a talk

by kurtbethel 11 Replies latest jw friends

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I have explained "Dubnesia" before, which is that amnesia that JWs seem to get about the actual content of their so called spiritual nourishment. Not to criticize, as I always get that after hearing H. Ross Perot talk.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/188046/1/Dubnesia-Have-you-had-it

Now I have audio of dubnesia as we hear two JWs explain to a householder about how wonderful the talk they heard was. For some reason they can not recall any specific fact they learned in the talk, only that it felt good to hear it.

These are not actors, and this is actually what the religion does to people's minds.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/fyt3xb

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Ahhh the many gifts of mind control. Since this years DC's have started, many of my friends have made the usual comments afterwards, "this was the best convention ever!", "truly a timely convention", blah blahblah....

I pose the question to each person that says something to this effect, "so what was so special or outstanding about the convention?" They reply, "You had to be there, words cannot express the uplifting spirit that was there!" Me, "Oh yeah? Well, sounds like there wasn't anything new brought out." They go, "Oh they went over the new generation understanding." (I'm grinning ear to ear now) I say, "Oh really? How did they explain it?" Them, "Uhhh... the new understanding is that the generation overlaps with... uh... hmmm... it's in the watchtower."

So yes, dubnesia is quite interesting....

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

This is just too funny.

Sounds like so many conversations I have heard.

"the way he presented it"

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

That's because there is no substance to these talks. For the most part I've found that they are shallow and repetative. Seriously. I still have "dubnesia" after listening to them too.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

It's true. That's why people always say that "this was the best assembly ever" because they want to cover for the fact that they don't remember any of it.

• blondie
    blondie

Dubnesia--now I have a word for this phenomenon.

I can remembering giving a talk and people telling me it was a great talk. I would say, "Oh what point or part did you think was best"? and I would get the deer in the headlights look.

Or people would say I had given a good comment at the WT study but couldn't remember one point, not even the WT conductor.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Ahh.. I remember those "please shoot me in the head now so I don't ever have to have one of these banal conversations again," moments.

I look back on them with much more humor than I did when I felt forced to participate in them.

• sabastious
    sabastious

The mind is a fragile thing... never let anyone else use it while your away.

-Sab

• whereami
    whereami

Lol... You can't be serious!!! That was too funny.

• villabolo
    villabolo

I first thought "dubnesia" was a reference to Republicans forgetting about the mighty deeds of George W Bush.

But seriously now, it's just a matter of their minds being on autopilot.

villabolo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit