Knowledge of Good and Evil

by cameo-d 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

In 1 Kings 3:9, Solomon asks for wisdom to discern between good and evil. In verse 10 we are told this request was pleasing to god that Solomon had asked for this instead of riches.

WTH? Adam and Eve got kicked out of the garden for wanting that same knowledge!

• tec
    tec

Solomon asked for wisdom to discern between good and evil. He already had knowledge of good and evil.

Adam and Eve ate from the tree to gain knowledge of good andevil - in order to be like God. They didn't ask God if they could eat from the tree after being tempted, or ask why He told them not to or even how it led to death. They just disobeyed.

Tammy

PS - Haven't seen you in a long time. Hope you are doing well.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Solomon asked for wisdom to discern between good and evil. He already had knowledge of good and evil.

Tec...a distinction without difference. If you KNOW the facts about something then you can discern it. I KNOW what sweet tastes like and what sour tastes like, do I need WISDOM to know the diference?

• Terry
    Terry

What a magical idea!

Eat something and you have instant knowledge!

Sounds like a myth or fable. Suspiciously so.

Yet, since we've heard it as though it were absolute fact all of our lives we can't begin to frame it in that context. We are socially disabled from a neutral vantage.

Now when somebody from a non-Judeo-Christian point of view hears this story for the first time it sounds like just what it is: a fable.

Experience brings knowledge. Humans in an Adam and Eve setting have no experiences to call upon!

• tec
    tec

Unless knowledge is a 'knowing'. Knowing as in experiencing rather than just in knowing the facts of something.

ex. Fire hurts because my mother told me so. vs. Fire hurts because I put my hand in the flame.

Just a thought. And even if my thought is wrong, it still doesn't wipe away that they did not ask God for understanding. They just did what they wanted.

Tammy

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

And even if my thought is wrong, it still doesn't wipe away that they did not ask God for understanding. They just did what they wanted.

Good thing, too, since he lied to them out of the gate.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Tammy,

Here's to you

• tec
    tec

Wasblind -

NVL - I hesitate to ask you :) and I know I've had this discussion before, though not with you - but what lie?

Tammy

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Solomon's 'story' seems to have a very deep spiritual meaning, the events may tell the story of a far greater scale of things, beyond human. Pointless to go into detail on unless somebody on the same page w/ me here lol.

Was your post just a remark or are you studying Solomon's life?

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

NVL - I hesitate to ask you :) and I know I've had this discussion before, though not with you - but what lie?

Oh you know you can ask me anything. I'm sweeter than a peach cobbler with homemade whip cream (which I make on a regular basis).

(Genesis 2:17) . . .But as for the tree of the knowledge of good and bad you must not eat from it, for in the day you eat from it you will positively die.”

They didn't die that day. They did not died in that day. They died hundred of year later accoding to the bible. You could make the thousand years or the "they began to die that die" argument, but they were never promised eternal life or a thousand year life and the bible never says they would begin to die that day. Taken at it's word, god lied. the serpent was right.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit