Female Elders, have you heard anything?

by Slidin Fast 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Slidin Fast
  • Quandry
    Quandry

No, and I don't think we're going to, either. JWism is very male-dominated.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I predict this will NEVER happen.

You have more chance of landing on the moon this very night with Elvis, Lord Lucan and Red Rum than this happening.

• yesidid
    yesidid

ya gotta be jokin

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Don't know about today, but back in the 1970s and 80s some of the elders' wives in our locality were called elderettes.

• brizzzy
    brizzzy

The term "elderettes" is still around; I've heard it used. In my congregation, it was generally used as an insult and a disdainful term for the elders' wives who acted elitist, pushy, nosy, and busybody-esque.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Sisters are only good for ONE THING.........yeah you know Brothers what I'm talking about..................mopping the female toilets at the Hall.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Yes. Now that we know Armageddon is not around the corner, it is highly likely that females will continue to age. As well as males.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

One thing I could see as far as women being given some sort of formal position within the Borg is maybe some sort of "older sister" type of position where they are still not allowed to teach from the platform, not allowed to serve on judicial committees, but are assigned to "give counsel" to younger sisters (sisters only, no males) in various capacities.

It would sort of be a more formalized and permanent arrangement than the defunct "pioneers assist" program.

But even something like this is unlikely.

• Elder-Patrol
    Elder-Patrol

I know folks here aren't necessarily interested, but there just seems no scriptural basis for female elders. You can't blame that on misogyny in Brooklyn.

There might be a scriptural basis for female ministerial servants, but IMHO the argument is weak. Some Christian denominations have female deacons, but almost none have female elders.

If you look back at old publications, C. T. Russell initially agreed that a congregation could appoint a capable sister as a "deaconess", but later he wrote that only males could be appointed deacons.

JW publications already tell older women to counsel younger women.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit