Education Flip Flop

by hoser 14 Replies latest jw friends

• hoser
    hoser

I finished reading God's word for us through Jeremiah and found this interesting quote on page 45 par 7:

"For example a man might reason, I have to hold down a job to support my family, which is understandable. What if that led him to think, I need

more education to secure or hold a decent job? That too might seem logical, leading him to conclude, times have changed, and to survive today

you need to get a college or university education to hold on to your job. How easily one might start to minimize the wise, balanced advice from the

faithful discreet slave class about additional education and start to miss meetings!"

This is what the faithful slave wrote 18 years ago!

1992 watchtower pages 15-21 article "Education with a purpose"

"13 Some have taken training courses that have opened up job opportunities enabling them to engage in or resume full-time service. One sister in the Philippines was the family breadwinner, but she wanted to pioneer. The branch reports: “She has been able to do this because she has received additional education to qualify as a certified public accountant.” "

So in 1992 it was OK to get extra training but in 2010 if a person gets additional education your heart is deceiving you.

In the Jeremiah book I found 3 other places where college and university was discouraged almost condemned, but in the 1990's there are 3 or 4

watchtower articles advising young ones to have enough education to earn decent wages.

Any ideas why?

• St George of England
    St George of England

Because the GB and members of the writing committee haven't a clue about the real world! They do not have to worry about income, paying the gas bill, electricity bill, community tax etc etc. They are institutionalised.

I think every 10 years they ought to be put out into the real world for a year, told to get a job, find accommodation, do their own shopping, laundry, cleaning and then study up and get along on the bus to the meeting.

Maybe then they would wake up to the realities of a worthwhile education, if they survived that long.

George

• cantleave
    cantleave

There is a danger that an education might get people to start thinking. Thinking will result in questioning. Questioning will lead to doubting. Doubting can cause abandonment of ones faith in the FDS - which of course means freedom.

• VM44
    VM44

How easily one might start to minimize the wise, balanced advice from the faithful discreet slave class about additional education and start to miss meetings!

What does the above have to do with the Book of Jeremiah?

the wise, balanced advice from the faithful discreet slave class

What "wise, balanced advice" from the faithful discreet slave class? Are they kidding?

• Gayle
    Gayle

They did open up to education for a while,,makes sense to get professional worksmen,,especially if the Society can get free labor from them. However, with education, people often start thinking and won't "cowtow" to ignorant freaks.

Now the Scoiety has tightened up against higher education. According to PEW polls, JWs have the lowest percentage of college grads, about 6% I think.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

They didn't just turn on education recently. I don't think the leniency on education lasted much into this century. The "Teachers of God's Word" district convention started them back on the road to anti-education, IIRC.

Then the October 2005 Watchtowers (especially the 10/1 issue) had a study article: Parents - What Future Do You Want for Your Children?

That article reverted back to the pre-1992 anti-education stance completely.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

So the advice from the wise balanced FDS is wiser and more balanced than the advice in Jeremiah?

• designs
    designs

This way the Society always has an out...see we do encourage education (with caution)

Several old line Protestant groups have similar restrictions on education ie it must be for the Lord's work. Thus the birth of the Seminary.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

''watchtower articles advising young ones to have enough education to earn decent wages''

Remember though, that the WT veiw of 'enough' education is high school and a 'decent' wage is what you can get as a casual window cleaner. Enough to pay the rent, but not enough to have entertainment money.

oz

• hoser
    hoser

btt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit