Ever feel guilty listening to the Rolling Stones as a dub?

by undercover 17 Replies latest jw friends

• read good books
    read good books

I remember President Nathan Knorr criticizing the Beatles and referring to them as "the hairy men" at an assembley. I never felt guilty, the Witnesses bored you to sleep Rock music pumped you up.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I'm probably too young for this thread, but the first job I ever had I worked with a bunch middle aged White dudes in a glorified garage doing mechanical work. They were the majority, so they controlled the radio. Fair enough. The biker types befriended me, and before I knew it, I was starting to have a liking for hard rock. I would hear things on the classic rock station that I liked and I would ask the biker dudes, "who's this man?" "Thats Led Zepplin" or "That's The Doors". I remember saying to the one cat, "I like that song that goes whoo whoo, whoo whoo, pleased to meet you, won't ya guess my name. Who's that?" "Thats the Stones, that songs about the Devil. " "Really? " I love hard rock, some Metal, early punk, and early hardcore. But it took me a while to warm up to that kind of music. PArt of it was its not in my background. I grew up on Soul, R&B, and HipHop. Then you add the JW background, and that kind of music is really tabboo. But I'm glad I got to work around those guys, and got exposed to Rock. Later on, I felt like I was inviting the demons in my folks home when I purchased AC/DC's Back In Black. Led Zeppelin's Dazed & Confused made me feel so guilty! Jim Morrrison at the close of "The End", when he tells his mother what he wants to do to her?!?!? By the way that song compliments the climax of Apocalypse Now so well.

Something that bothers me at times is how my standards have laxed. I went from feeling guilty for listening to Zeppelin and AC/DC, to not feeling guilty. Eventually I REALLY crossed over into uncharted waters when I purchased Black Sabbath's debut album and the PAranoid album. I thought I was gonna start levitating for liking N.I.B. too much. Or the demons were going to start acting up in my folks home. Later on as I started getting into Punk, I got into The Misfits, and Danzig who by the way is VERY anti-religious. His voice back then was heavenly though. Its been a strange journey man.

• JRK
    JRK

No, and I listened a lot.

JK

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Nope, I didn't let the bOrg make me feel guilty for listening to anything I liked.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I didn't have access to much rock and roll when I was a teenager in the '80's.

I listened to whatever others were listening to and didn't have money to buy vinyl or tapes.

Had a radio, but never had any privacy as my mom never went anywhere or worked outside the home...or inside it

I was kept home a lot. All she ever listened to was country music, which made me sick (puky sick).

• four candles
    four candles

White Dove...listening to Country affects you just like being in the Borg. Get with the rock.....you know it makes sense.

Stones???? Love em!!!!

• elderelite
    elderelite

LOL its funny, I'm enough younger than you that the stones, during my teenage years, were very very mild. I even went to the steel wheels concert when they came through D.C. (RFK), with my JW parents permission. great time. I listened to just about anything Rock and Metal, but that was the era when "rap was evil" so that was a big thing in my area. BTW, our CO still asks us before he will accept a recommendation for a brother to be a ms or elder, if the man is "moderate in his music listing habits".. that one always makes me smile

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

I tried to avoid heavy metal, rap, and the Rolling Stones because of the views of the elders. Now I enjoy the Rolling Stones and AC/DC without fear of repremand.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit