Anyone do telephone witnessing?

by gubberningbody 18 Replies latest jw friends

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

I started that here before the Borg got on the bandwagon.

I remember calling convenience stores on the phone at 4am from this brother's house when it was raining out and none of us felt like doing anything.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Did you ever get cussed out?

• asilentone
    asilentone

Yes I did when I call deaf people via TTY many years ago, they still remember my name.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

A lot of people in our congregation did it, we even had phone territories. It was a line I never crossed, because I know how much I hate it when I get calls like that. However, I really hate people who come to my door too, so I have no idea why I was willing to do that for three decades! NMKA

• blondie
    blondie

gubber, that's pretty desperate. We did go to 24-hour gas stations with the magazines. I did telephone witnessing that last few years I was in but by myself. I just called during the day and left messages on their phones. If I got a person, I just hung up. I found people who were never home and the last month, I would call that number, do other stuff for a couple of hours and then call again.

In my congregation though, the pioneers (5 of them) would meet at one sister's home (one phone) and take turns calling. It was like doing rural territory. And they called during the day too rather than when people would be home. It was a big party with cake and coffee and treats every week. And it was only for the pioneers which is why no one cared that I did it by myself.

• NiceDream
    NiceDream

I was too chicken to try it. I felt the peer pressure sitting around the table, listening to the others making calls. When it was my turn I couldn't do it, so they passed it on to the next person.

The girls in my hall found out the phone numbers to the "not at home" addresses in the territory to reach them by phone and give a more thorough witness. The CO thought they were very clever.

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

Yeah blondie, but at least I "got my time in".

I remember after phoning for about 6 hours straight some young woman saying... "Is this a real person, or a recording?" and I said... "You can make it real. I've been on the phone for six hours right now so I've kinda gone on auto-pilot."

I left messages too.

I remember that a$$hole Manera not getting it when I asked what he though of our congregation getting some unassigned area assigned to us and calling them regularly on the phone.

He said..."I think that would be a problem for the brothers working the territory."

I remember saying..."No, no, no...you're not getting it!...Let me explain it again to you..." at this elders meeting and everyone was quietly freaking out about how I talked over him...

One brother said to me later ..."I know what you were trying to do, but he's too old to understand anything any more."

• asilentone
    asilentone

altar ego, do you have any idea why the elders told you that?

• Altar ego
    Altar ego

no I don't know why they told me that......please, you tell me asilentone ; )

• asilentone
    asilentone

do you smell bad?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit