I know no one wants to die, but is it possible that wanting to live forever when nothing does is a bit greedy?

by gubberningbody 16 Replies latest jw friends

• StAnn
    StAnn

Snark away, Tammy.

I do believe that when we die we will go to heaven or hell. I'm hoping for heaven. That being said, I really couldn't care less when this life ends except for a few things:

a. I want my house to be spotless when I die. I don't want people coming in after I die and saying I'm not a good housekeeper. (Family of origin issues, people.)

b. I want all of my financial affairs in order.

c. I want my children's futures settled, i.e., who will take care of them, since they're handicapped.

This life is a preparation for the next. Why would I want this one to go on forever giving how difficult this life is? Catholics believe that each individual chooses heaven or hell for himself. Since I choose heaven and hope never to change my mind, I can't see why i'd want to prolong this life beyond what is necessary.

On another note.....I think that the JW religion, focusing on living forever on Earth and everything the JWs will have in the New World, is a very materialistic religion. They don't care that they'll never meet Jesus face to face or see God. They just want to take it easy and have plenty of food, good weather, and a nice home for eternity. There's nothing spiritual about the future plans of the JWs, it's all materialistic. Not very much in line with Christianity.

StAnn

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Interesting point on the materialism, StAnn. I saw the presumptious angle to the WT future vision, and the class distinction, but never paid much attention to the materialistic aspect (coveting thy neighbor's house, etc.)

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I would like to live longer - not necessarily forever.

• Scully
    Scully

There's a difference between actively "wanting to die" versus "acknowledging and understanding death's unavoidable eventuality".

Desiring longevity is not the same as "wanting to Live Forever In Paradise on Earth™".

I agree that wanting to live forever is not only "greedy" - in the sense that a person wants and expects more than they are entitled to have - but it is extremely selfish, because it is sought at the expense of other life experiences in Watchtower World. In order to achieve that outcome - in order to earn everlasting life - a person must sacrifice opportunities in the here-and-now. They are expected to devote hours and hours to Meeting Attendance™, Personal Study™, Field Service™, District Conventions™, Circuit Assemblies™, Special Assembly Days™, Circuit Overseer Visits™, etc. at the expense of personal advancement in education, careers, hobbies, building a support or business network, meaningful friendships, discovering an activity that inspires, sports, fitness, socializing, and so on. All of those personal desires are expected to sit on the back burner until The New System™, because there will be "plenty of time" for those things later.

It was a huge wake-up call to me when it finally dawned on me that my life would end, that there was no Living Forever In Paradise™. If there's one thing I resent the WTS for, more than anything else, it's the lost opportunities and dreams that people gave up on because they were told - and believed - that Armageddon™ was sooooo close and that there would be "plenty of time" for those pursuits In The New System™.

What a waste!

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

You're rather linear StAnne.

• tec
    tec

I think I misunderstood 'living forever'. I was taking into consideration that any form of living would be implied - physical or spiritual. I wasn't looking at this as a living forever as the JW's teach.

I don't think it really makes a difference to my answer, though. Wanting to live forever at the expense of another would be greedy. Wanting to live forever, imo, is not.

Tammy

• The Finger
    The Finger

I thought it was a gift.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit