"Neither be called leaders" vs "Obey your leaders"

by Bonnie_Clyde 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• wobble
    wobble

You have a similar problem with Acts ,Debator, most scholars Roloff, Schille , Schneider and Weiser etc. date its writing to between 90 and 100 C.E, some like Koester, for sound reasons would date it later.

So the account in Chapter One of replacing the traitor Judas, and Peter's quote from Psalms concerning him, would be unknown to Paul.

I do not think that Paul was consciously creating Church hierarchy , with bishops of particular places having primacy over others, I think he wanted Elders to lead people to Christ, and those people then follow only Christ, but it soon became the proto- catholic church which later spawned all the power struggles and schisms we have seen down to our day, Paul created a monster, if unknowingly.

• debator
    debator

Hi wobble

Paul was an inspired writer! his words were considered scripture by the other writers.

2 Peter 3:16
    He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.

A governing structure can work. It's only men's imperfection that makes it hard. All the writers recognise this including John in revelation that fortells it.

Revelation 5:10 (Amplified Bible)

10 And You have made them a kingdom (royal race) and priests to our God, and they shall reign [as kings] over the earth! (A)

• Caupon
    Caupon

Their website states: "Jehovah's Witnesses do not recognize any human as their leader." However, they continually use that thirteenth verse of Hebrews to mean the Governing Body. I don't think it meant being obedient to 'religous leaders'. I always thought he was talking about secular authorites instead.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

"Listen, Obey and Be Blessed!"

Don't Question. Don't Think. Just Obey!

• At that time, the life-saving direction that we receive from Jehovah’s organization may not appear practical from a human standpoint. All of us must be ready to obey any instructions we may receive, whether these appear sound from a strategic or human standpoint or not. - w2013 11/15, p. 20, para. 17

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit