Notes to give someone on new generation...fact check and advice...

by notverylikely 14 Replies latest jw friends

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

These are my notes on the new generation teaching i am preparing to give to someone. If anyone here wouldn't mind reading over them and giving them a quick fact check, I would appreciate it. Right now these are just rough talking points for me. If I actuall give them to someone, they will be cleaned up, formatted for reading.

Thanks in advance.

Generation

No scriptural backing for overlapping groups making up generation. Matthew 24:34 says " this generation".

This used to mean the 1914 generation (first, all persons that were aware of what was happening in 1914, then changed all those born by 1914), then meant wicked people, then meant all anointed born at any time, then meant two overlapping groups of anointed starting from 1914.

"It usually refers to people of varying ages whose lives overlap during a particular time period; it is not excessively long; and it has an end."

No dictionary definition I could find says that, clearly not a usual definition. Checked Miriam-Webster, www.dictionary.com and Google definitions. Exodus 1:6 is used to mean this by referring to Joseph and his brothers as one generation even though they are different ages, but that clearly refers to the matching definition "the offspring of a certain parent or couple, considered as a step in natural descent". In any event, ALL offspring of a couple will be different ages, even if they are identical twins as one must be born first.

"The fulfillment of the various features of the sign clearly indicate that the tribulation

must be near."

Russell and group first said end would come in 1871, then 1874, then 1912, then 1914. The year 1914 is calculated using day for a year calculation and 7 times meaning 7 years, so 2520, 607 B.C. to 1914 A.D. is 2520 years. However, this only works if you use years that are 360 days in length. Insight book says "In Prophecy. In prophecy the word “year” is often used in a special sense as the equivalent of 360 days (12 months of 30 days each). (Re 11:2, 3)." If a real year is used, this gets us to 1949 A.D.

Revelation 11:2,3 says "2 But as for the courtyard that is outside the temple [sanctuary], cast it clear out and do not measure it, because it has been given to the nations, and they will trample the holy city underfoot for forty-two months. 3 And I will cause my two witnesses to prophesy a thousand two hundred and sixty days dressed in sackcloth."

There is no mention of saying a year is 360 days long. It says the holy city will be trampled for 42 months and that two witnesses would prophesy for 1260 days. It in no way connects the length of the prophesying with the trampling of the city.

Things Not in the Bible

No one going to heaven prior to 1914 (2 Corinthian 12:4 says otherwise)

Matthew 8:11 says Abraham, Isaac and Jacob will be in heaven. Nothing in Bible supports those being a figurative representation of Jehovah, Jesus and Holy Spirit.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Its all BS. Its their fantasy.

I was walking to the store today and there was this elderly brother in a wheelchair/scooter. He had the mags in his hands but he had as much interest in 'sharing' them as the passerby's have in reading them.

I thought about asking his opinion on the org and the directions it was taking, but based on the other JW's I've asked I figured his response would be the same...I'll tell you a lil secret come close:

WE APOSTATES KNOW MORE ABOUT DUBS THAN DUBS DO!!!

Or than dubs care to know. They have there fantasy and it works for them.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Oh, dude, it's all BS. I don't beleive in god or prophesy, but I will settle for getting someone to realize at least that the WTS is bullshit.

• changeling
    changeling

Be careful dude, this kind of reasoning and talking about WT history does not go over very well. Watch your back. :)

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Be careful dude, this kind of reasoning and talking about WT history does not go over very well. Watch your back. :)

I might need to crash at your place for a while :)

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

They have been taught not to listen, so don't tell them anything.

Make them explain it to you. If they make loopy claims, ask them to prove them.

You haven't 'won' anything with any cult member until they tell you they are wrong. That will never happen if you are doing all the talking.

Cheers

Chris

• changeling
    changeling

Wise words, black sheep. And further, a witness who does not have doubts of their own will not listen to reason.

LOL, NVL!

• Mary
    Mary

I wonder if there's anything on Wikipedia about "this generation".....

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I could never use this with my JW wife, but your short summation of what's wrong with the generation overlap and other features of the last days is very good. It's to the point. I like it.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Good point, Black Sheep. I also plan to print out the 5/22/90 Awake, pages 12-14. Logical Fallacies in debate and how to about them. My favorites and most used will probably be ad hominem and appeal to authority.

Thanks, OTWO. How did you manage to fade and still have a relationship with your SO?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit