Are they now searching book bags as the J.W.s enter the district convention arenas?

by koolaid-man 20 Replies latest jw friends

• designs
    designs

Do you feel safe sitting in a Stadium with 30,000 religious people that the public hates.

Safer at the Beach...............

Oh, July 5th is Surfrider International Beach Cleanup Day

.............shameless plug

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Echoes of 24...'Put the BAG down !'

Loz x

• JeffT
    JeffT

I think they that they can require that you submit to a search if you want to go into the event. Private security people search you going into rock concerts, sporting events and other events. Your are not required to submit to, or allow such a search, but then they are not required to let you in.

• TD
    TD

My experience is similar to Jeff. There has been a cursorial search going in to every live performance I've attended in the last few years.

It wasn't terribly intrusive. Nobody was physically touched in any way. They took a quick look in women's handbags if they were larger than a certain size and asked a few men to open their coats. The people conducting the search were just garden variety hired security, not actual law enforcement. Submitting to the search was a condition for entering the venue.

I think the JW's could pull off something similar if they really wanted to. I have no idea whether it would be legal with volunteer attendents, but suspect that it would not.

Having said all that, I attended the Sunday session a few weeks ago and went in with a recorder and a digital SLR. It didn't so much as raise and eyebrow

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

They do and don't have the right. Since the JW's rented the facility, they have the right to search anyone entering the facility. If you say "no thanks" and walk away, they don't.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Is this really surprising that they would investigate who is going into a public assembly, its just another attempt to show

that there are enforcers around who will watch and take down people who appear suspicious and troublesome.

It may very well be just a way to see if an individual has any anti-JWS paraphernalia on their person,

who would enter closely inside.

If the huge banners like whats standing behind Koolaid Man is an indication of whats happening around large

convention sites these days, its not surprising that they would take this new policy.

• steve2
    steve2

You mean we have to tune in to a special expose-type program to find out what some man somewhere thinks the searches are about??

Come on - this is ridiculous

A few years ago in my local community, a religious nutter (not a JW) phoned local radio stations threatening to blow up the convention centre where the District Convention was to be held. The police advised JW convention organizers to assign some brothers to monitor what was being brought into the convention centre and the police correspondingly maintained a low-key presence (after searching the building). There was nothing cultish or sinister about it.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

The invitation that a jw stuck in my door that said, "Public Welcome" didn't say anything about being searched.

I have been to concerts and other events that it was told before, either on the ticket or upon registering that you could be searched.

lisa

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

In reality this may make people rethink going to JWS conventions since there is the possibility of trouble

and perhaps violence occurring.

Who feels like going to church where there is suppose to be peace and tranquility and find

out upon arriving you go through a personal search. Thats got to be a turn off of some sorts.

• steve2
    steve2

In reality this may make people rethink going to JWS conventions since there is the possibility of trouble

and perhaps violence occurring.

Or it may feed into the belief that this is a time of persecution of "Jehovah's" people and make them more likely to attend. Take your pick on whether this sort of news hinders or helps attendance levels.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit