Day 1 of the convention

by NiceDream 17 Replies latest jw friends

• NiceDream
    NiceDream

Here's a brief recount of things that stood out to me this year upon my awakening...probably old hat for most of you.

The first experience I heard was from a sister who was afraid to speak to her fleshly sisters about "the truth" and her conscience was really bothered. She felt horrible that they were going to die unless she shared the "truth" with them. She was too afraid to speak to them, so she decided to give them a Bible Teach book as a gift. Now her conscience doesn't bother her anymore.

There were 3 sisters who shared their experiences of how last year's drama effected them (the prodigal son drama). The sisters relating their experience were very polished this year. They spoke slowly and really stressed how much they "love Jehovah" and how being in the organization is a protection, loving, and safe place to be.

A weird experience was of a 14 year old who liked playing soccer at school. He missed meetings to play soccer and eventually got DF'd. He later came back because he was disciplined.

Another experience of a brother who was an unskilled laborer, made average wage or a little better, and his wife is a pioneer. If they both worked, he could be retired by now, but he makes sacrifices because it's worth it to have a pioneer wife because of all the blessings. She sacrifices her time with him because he has KHall responsibilities. I wonder if they ever spend any time together?

The last brother talking about the 2 new brochures kept stressing how there is a bibliography in the back of the brochure so people can check out the quotes. And that it will appeal to "humble" people.

The songs were disjointed, pretty much no one knew how to sing them (including me). Before a song could almost move me to tears at the convention...but it sounds really bad now. Totally emotionless.

• JeffT
    JeffT

The first experience I heard was from a sister who was afraid to speak to her fleshly sisters about "the truth" and her conscience was really bothered. She felt horrible that they were going to die unless she shared the "truth" with them. She was too afraid to speak to them, so she decided to give them a Bible Teach book as a gift. Now her conscience doesn't bother her anymore.

Being afraid to tell your family what you really believe should be a HUGE red flag. How nice to know that you can replace human contact with crummy book. I'm sure that's what Jesus had in mind when he sacrificed himself for all of us.

• boyzone
    boyzone

It makes me sad reading those experiences. Its like dumbing down for dumb people, so glad you see through them now.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

The last brother talking about the 2 new brochures kept stressing how there is a bibliography in the back of the brochure so people can check out the quotes.

But if people check out the quotes, won't they find out that the quotes might be out of context?

Bangalore

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

If they both worked, they could have retired now (though probably I would not recommend it). Then they both could pio-sneer. This way, only one is able to do that. And, I hope they become apostate before they reach 80 or so, realize it was all a waste of time, and now they can't make up the money they lost.

• anewme
    anewme

Wow.

Revisiting the assembly experiences again is pretty sad.

• lalaa
    lalaa

WOW! So glad that I don't go to these 3 day time wasters anymore.

• sherah
    sherah

Damn, those experiences are depressing. How would be encouraged by that crap?

You are right about the songs, they are really bad. The words and melodies are off. The popular songs from the old songbook were changed to pay homage to the GB and FDS.

• NiceDream
    NiceDream

Yeah, the experiences are really crazy. They even had a few elders who gave experiences about getting DF'd when young, and how it benefitted them.

I thought it was interesting about checking out the quotes too. I guess they're confident people will just be happy knowing they are there and not look them up. And if they do look them up and find they aren't in context, then they aren't "humble," because we're not supposed to question things.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Them saying there is a bibliography for people to check and investigate reminds me of a scene in a movie (pick one) where the bad guy is hiding something and cops come in and he says 'hey you can check the back if you want' and there are armed henchmen waiting for him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit