Jehovah the lunatic god

by transhuman68 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

I was virtually a born-in Dub, as my mother was baptized when I was four or five; I was the Bible study of two separate long-suffering brothers in my home cong before I walked out, never getting baptized.

I absorbed all the teachings of the Witnesses, and always believed that the Bible was in some way the Word of God

Now I am re-reading ‘Living in Sin’, by John Shelby Spong.

Although at the time he wrote the book he was a bishop of the Episcopal Church, he states that the Bible, or at least the Hebrew Scriptures, was written by the Israelites using their imaginary God to explain their victories and defeats; to provide an explanation of their history.

I had always taken it for granted the God had chosen the Israelites to be his people: but maybe they chose God.

Why would the Creator of the universe choose an obscure tribe in the Middle East, leading them back and forth across the desert and in and out of captivity, interfering with everything they did; while totally ignoring everybody else living on the earth at that time?

A modern analogy would be God coming to earth and choosing the Brooklyn Dodgers as his chosen team and ignoring every other team, and coaching them so the Dodgers would always win.

What sort of petty, bored, lunatic bigoted God would do that?

Only an imaginary one.

Disclaimer:This was written after consuming too much black coffee & cigarettes: it may not be entirely factually correct.

• ambersun
    ambersun
    Why would the Creator of the universe choose an obscure tribe in the Middle East, leading them back and forth across the desert and in and out of captivity, interfering with everything they did; while totally ignoring everybody else living on the earth at that time?

transhuman68, this makes perfect sense to me. I always used to wonder why God was so obsessed with the Middle East and surrounding areas and one tribe in particular, who always seemed to be either letting him down, or getting themselves in a right pickle.

When the Israelites were trundling about aimlessly in a desert somewhere, why on earth didn't God either chuck a map down with the manna or look to see how people in Europe or China were getting on, and maybe give them a crack at being the 'chosen people'?

• designs
    designs

Why did God choose the only plot of land in the Middle East that didn't have oil.

This also follows the point that God created whiskey so that the Irish wouldn't rule the world.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Maybe he likes desserts....oh, right DESERTS! LOL

There's absolutely no reason for God to choose any one people over another, and Christian teaching belies that idea, which was more or less central to Judaism. A huge revision or evolution of religious thought from "God will only save us, the chosen" to "God loves and saves all mankind".

Except for religions (cults) like JWs who go back to the "God will save us, the chosen" ideas of the Old Testament.

Religious de-evolution, I guess.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

since christianity is derived from judaism, then logical conclusion would tell you that it falls in the same category.

simple logic: if judaism is false --> then christianity is false!

good analogies Trans...

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Jehovah the lunatic god.

Ah! You are referring to the vengeful Hebrew desert god. The god of fear and The Flood. That mad-man Abraham launched the idea of a one god monopoly. Later used by Moses to give himself special power over the Israelite nation.

The desert god that is credited with the slaughter of hundreds of thousands of men, women and children in the Israelites quest to seize lands belonging to others. Also blamed for the destruction of Babylon. Also said to be responsible for bringing the Roman armies against Jerusalem resulting in its complete desolation.

If the bible is to be believed, his son is soon to return with a sword protruding from his mouth to smite the nations. It would be outrageous if it were all true. In fact man alone is responsible for his inhumanity to other humans.

The desert god, like all gods, is just a feeble excuse invented by bloodthirsty mankind.

Disclaimer: As I write this I am sober and sound of mind. A great more sane than anyone who actually believes the greatest story ever told.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech
    If the bible is to be believed, his son is soon to return with a sword protruding from his mouth to smite the nations. It would be outrageous if it were all true. In fact man alone is responsible for his inhumanity to other humans.

good point, forgot that christianity is worshipping a killer too!

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

So who exactly did God kill??

I mean, there are many horrific acts attributed to God, that is a given, but did God actually kill anyone?

We know that the Isrealites attributed the things they did to God and God telling them to do it or being on their side, just as other nations and people did that with their Gods.

We know there was a flood that killed many people and animals over a rather large area and IF you believe that God wills all then God willed THAT to happen too, bit if you DON'T believe that then WHO did God actually kill ?

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

PS... it is said that "god" did that.

now if there's a god that is just a creator and now just sits "in the sidelines", then it's not him doing it.

but bible zealots are praying to "that" god

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

that's why the thread rightly says "jehovah....."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit