Christopher Hitchens to Undergo Cancer Treatment

by XJW4EVR 29 Replies latest social current

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

James White linked to the Huffington Post article on this matter. He and Hitchens have a debate scheduled in August. This is sad news indeed.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Yes. Esophageal cancer doesn't seem to have a really good recovery rate.

• dgp
    dgp

I suppose many a person will say Hitchens had it coming.

• designs
    designs

Some of the people from the Calvary Chapel group actively pray for people like him and JWs to get sick.

Lovely people...................

• dgp
    dgp

I guess these people haven't thought what kind of a forgiving God that would be if he were to grant them their wish.

Also, it kind of makes you think what kind of God that would be who would ignore other prayers for Hitchen's health. In that case, He would listen to prayers that ask for a terrible disease to afflict a person, and would disregard prayers asking for health to be given to that very same person. He, who sent his Son to suffer for us so we could be redeemed.

I wonder if these people have really thought about it. I guess not.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

He said he tried to quit smoking in 2008...shoulda woulda coulda..famous last words...sadly.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

DGP, who is the "we"?

As far as people in Calvary Chapel praying for atheists and cultists to get sick, I would need something more than anecdotal stories from an anonymous poster on a forum that is notably hostile to Christians.

It is my prayer that God would use this episode in Mr. Hitchens' life to reveal Himself in a manner that would be undeniable.

• PEC
    PEC

LOL @ XJW

Philip

• dgp
    dgp

The "we" in "we could be redeemed" is "mankind". Now, I need to clarify that I don't believe the man died for us. That's the claim religious people make. That he died for "us" all, to redeem us, except, of course, that he won't redeem but destroy anyone who dares to disagree with him or doubt his existence.

I believed what the other poster said. If they aren't praying for Hitchen's death, well, so be it. If they are, then f*** them.

By the way, no one is more hostile to Christians than other Christians. And I certainly wished God revealed himself in a way that made his existence undeniable. That he hasn't done so is exactly one of Hitchens' claims. And mine, too.

Are you praying for Hitchen's health, or just for God to reveal his presence?

• cofty
    cofty

Hitchins is an intelligent, well informed and clear thinking commentator. Many of his observations are devastating to the smug, self-assured religious apologists who dare to debate with him.

I hope he is able to beat his illness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit