2010 drama: historicity of Christians leaving Jerusalem between Roman wars

by Billy the Ex-Bethelite 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

There was a drama at a DC back in the 70's about this same time period. It feature a fictional family, mother, father, son, that lingered in Jerusalem thinking they could leave at the last moment and were stopped at the walls by the Jews and the son was drafted into the army..........if I remember when I get home I'll look it up.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney
    By using the term, 'mountains,' Jesus Christ evidently meant that his disciples should flee to a deep rift valley that overlaps with a mountain range.

This makes no sense to me.

Humor doesn't always translate to text very well. My apologies.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

What struck me was the scene where the 'faithful' head of the household comments to the effect that he has been studying the meeting attendance figures and field ministry hours, which are all up. Not sure that is historical

• NiceDream
    NiceDream

MadSweeny - I totally got your humour...and the "overlapping mountains" were priceless.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Mad Sweeney, That was a good one. Botchtower might as well throw in the word "overlap" to explain the generation and anything else.

BTS, While recorded history is vague on what exactly happened with the Christians in Jerusalem and when, Botchtower has completely bastardized anything that might possibly have happened and twisted it into a deceptive story pressuring the rank and file into accepting some connection between the ancient congregation and the modern false prophecies of their publishing corporation. I'm sure that if you believed that James was executed for his faith, and Christians were equally persecuted in Jerusalem for following Christ during the years leading up to the destruction, you would have projectile vomited if forced to "witness" the DC drama that portrayed those courageous Christians as pathetic, weak-willed, materialistic, "publishers".

• truthlover
    truthlover

an 8 year old said" its not a true story, its just made up" --- out of the mouths of babes!

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

When I was still "in" and saw the Timothy drama of a couple of years ago, I commented on its lack of historical substance, and the regular pioneer/PO's wife in the congregation replied that it IS a dramatization.

Clearly, she didn't know what dramatization meant...

• sd-7
    sd-7

I was just reading on Wikipedia about this. I remember from the WT that they always said Cestius Gallus withdrew for some "unknown reason". Wikipedia indicates that he was DEFEATED by the Jews, and that's why he withdrew. Anyone else remember hearing that? Given what was going on, it seems somewhat unlikely anyone would've been able to get out of Jerusalem at any point after that. If they did, it would've been amidst significant chaotic activity. I'm almost curious enough to go see the drama myself, except that I would have to tolerate the convention. But I don't know where one would find any data on whether or not Christians knew beforehand and got out.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

sd-7,

I think the most significant information on the subject is found in the gospel of John, which was written after the destruction of Jerusalem by an apostle that heard Jesus original prophecy foretelling the destruction. Since John is completely and deafeningly silent on the matter, it would be most likely that either the Christians had left Jerusalem long before the first siege... of the collection of books about Jesus and the first century Christians are all "dramatizations".

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    BTS, While recorded history is vague on what exactly happened with the Christians in Jerusalem and when, Botchtower has completely bastardized anything that might possibly have happened and twisted it into a deceptive story pressuring the rank and file into accepting some connection between the ancient congregation and the modern false prophecies of their publishing corporation. I'm sure that if you believed that James was executed for his faith, and Christians were equally persecuted in Jerusalem for following Christ during the years leading up to the destruction, you would have projectile vomited if forced to "witness" the DC drama that portrayed those courageous Christians as pathetic, weak-willed, materialistic, "publishers".

No argument there!

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit