Neither the Bible or Dictionary support the new light on the Generation

by wasblind 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wasblind
    wasblind

According to the Governing Body, the anointed who were on hand in 1914 will overlap the lives of todays anointed. These two groups make up one generation.

"BULL"

The Bible supports the dictionaries definition of generation, Matthew 1:1-17 shows Abraham, Isaac and Jacob as three separate generations, verse 17 says: "all the generations, then, from Abraham until David were fourteen generations.

The dictionaries definition say: All people born around the same time; a single stage in the descent of a family or group. Example: Matthew 1:2 says: "Jacob became father to Judah and his brothers;" Judah and his brothers make up one generation.

can someone show me where Abraham (father) and Isaac (son) were considered one generation just because their lives overlaped. This new light is not Bible based or have i missed out on a scripture that supports this new light.

The Governing Body is trying to put two generations into one. Each group represents a generation

Can someone please show me the scripture that i missed supporting this new light.

• M*A*S*H
    M*A*S*H

Hey wasblind, the whole generation thing is a major thorn in the side of the borg. Those of us that lived through the 'change' can only admire the way the org has survived this redefinition of generation - many of us expected/hoped for a mass walk out! We should have known better!

But to answer your question with a question - where in the bible is there any supporting evidence for "new light" itself?

• TD
    TD

They're attempting to define a generation around a shared experience or event. The "World War II" generation is a good example of this usage. That is a valid concept with modern definitions and is supported in most dictionaries.

The problem is, this doesn't work unless the event is fairly short in duration. If the event lasts too long, you can't honestly say that those who experienced it were contemporaries of each other. A generation of the Renaissance would be an 'oxymoron' because the Renaissance spanned centuries.

Similarly, the JW's have picked a shared experience that spans way too much time to define a generation by. Finding one or two lives that overlap does not make the group contermporaneous as a whole.

• JeffT
    JeffT

TD, good point.

I was thinking about this the other day. It occurs to me that everybody's thinking about the "Boomer generation" contributed to the skewed logic. Since then everybody has wanted to belong to a generation, hence "X" and "Y". However we boomers are defined by an observable fact, the demographic spike in birth rates following WWII. This ran from the late forties to about 1960. As an example my brother was born in 1948, I was born in 1951 and my sister in 1959. We are part of that generational both by demographics and parentage.

The only thing binding the JW "generation" together is some handing waving theological intrepretation by the WTBS. Everybody can see the Boomer birth rate spike, nobody outside JW's can see their overlapping generations.

• BANE
    BANE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv7u2dGsHpc&feature=related

I think it is PRETTY well explained with this video.

• agonus
    agonus

Guys,

What's the Hebrew word for "Generation" in that passage vs. the Greek word Jesus used?

Hold on, I'll go you one better. Just lemme install e-sword... BRB

• steve2
    steve2

Bane, thanks for the You Tube reference. I listened to it and, if I were to fully believe it, I would want to behave in away that is consistent with the Governing Body's spirit-directed teachings.

The first thing I would do would be to stop supping with apostates. You know full well the Governing Body has repeatedly warned Christians to hold fast to what is fine. It may be one of the biggest tests you will face, but you owe it to your faith to disengage from this site - not for our good, but yours.

By dipping in and out of here, you supply evidence that, while you say you believe the Watchtower Society, your actions show the belief is not 100 percent.

Thank you for considering this.

• agonus
    agonus

BANE, careful with that video. You might just get your apostate ass sued by Faithy Discreety for posting Copyrighted Truth TM ...

Exo 1:6 - "And Joseph died, and all his brethren, and all that generation."

H1755

do^r do^r
    dore, dore

From H1752; properly a revolution of time, that is, an age or generation; also a dwelling: - age, X evermore, generation, [n-]ever, posterity.

Matt 24:34 - "Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled."

G1074

genea

From (a presumed derivative of) G1085; a generation; by implication an age (the period or the persons): age, generation, nation, time.

Revolution... dwelling... generation... age... seems to me the definition of BOTH of these words is pretty well vague enough to construct whatever the hell theology you want from it, be it months or millenia.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Bane , they still have not shown where the bible supports two generations as one. The scriptures they use in that video talks about joeseph and his brothers which make up according to the bible one generation. Read Genesis chapter 4 and 5 ,Matthew 1:1-17 and luke 3: 23-38. These scriptures all talk of individual generations there is no combining of generations just because lives overlaped. Bane stop showing me things without proof show me some proof. The WTS says they adhere strictly to bible based scripture to support what they say show me proof.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I still don't see the connection--their using Joseph and his brothers as "a generation" is a very lame comparison at best. Jesus plainly and bluntly said "THIS generation will not pass away". Comparing it with Joseph, who was the same generation relative to his lineage as his brothers, is completely lame--I wonder if he would be the same generation as his grandfather by this definition, since their lives probably intersected.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit