Saddening and Inspiring...

by IronHill 21 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Thank you so much for sharing this story with us. If anyone reading this hasn't read this book, PLEASE do so. You won't regret it.

• snowbird
    snowbird

This board is a wonderful place for healing.

The best to the both of you.

Syl

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

I too felt a bit overwhelmed by the magnitude of the deceit & lies. I was not raised in but spent 25 yrs of my life entrapped and it is truly disturbing as more & more is uncovered because even in your wildest imagination you never realized it could be that bad.

hang in there both of you & start your new life.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Thank you for sharing this...I'm glad your wife has you to talk to...I read this recently...3+ years after leaving the Org and the feelings you describe were mine too...but afterwards it produces a 'freedom'...go on and read his 2nd book next ...I'm half way through it ...more shocks more distress but ...more freedom. Tell your wife I'm sending her a hug.

Loz x

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I had the same reaction when I saw Barbara Anderson and Bill Bowen on Dateline. I cried so hard and so loud that I woke my husband up. He staggered out to the living room and just sat there looking bewildered while I had a nervous breakdown on the couch. My dear husband, God love him, is a no nonsense type of person. After I was able to choke out a few words about what I'd just learned, he said, "I've always told you that those people are full of sh*t, so come on, let's go to bed."

Barbara, Bill, and his no nonsense really helped me. I went from being a df'd believer to someone who finaly learned the truth about the "truth".

• today
    today

"All I could do was hold her and let her cry, assuring her that this was the scary part of letting go but that things would eventually get better."

This part of your post made me cry. Sweet that you have each other to lean on.

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

Thanks for sharing that with us. I hope to get my wife to read CoC one day.

-mentallyfree31-

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Thanks for sharing. I cried while reading CoC, and I'm still reading it. It's taking me so long, because it's just so hard to deal with all the emotions of discovering the truth about the "truth".

• flipper
    flipper

IRONHILL- You are a good man for holding your wife, letting her cry, and reassuring her that the sun will come up tomorrow and it will shine. I tried calling you folks a month ago, if you or your wife ever want to talk like we did once before, give me a call - my wife and I will be here for you folks. Give your wife a hug for us. Hang in there

• IronHill
    IronHill

Thanks everyone for the kind words, and Flipper yes I did get your message, we'll talk soon!

UPDATE: Well this weekend we took a road trip and read the book while driving, covering over another hundred pages or so. Depression seem to set in with her for a bit, and then anger set in, and the idea of hopelessness. As we were coming back last night however, our conversation on what we read, I could tell in her voice that whatever ideas she had about this organization being the truth were gone. She no longer believed. She mentioned the fact that we needed to live our lives now, and not worry about anything else, since all of the guilt has been lifted.

We have still have almost half of the book to go, but already I can feel the chains in her mind, coming down. I'll keep the board posted as we near the end of this extraordinary read!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit