Seed Planting Questions That Worked For Me Recently

by Confuzzled 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Confuzzled
    Confuzzled

I'm a really big Eckhart Tolle follower, and recently I was rereading A New Earth and I showed my Dubby this proverb he mentioned, which kind of bothered him when I explained it.

"The hand pointing to the moon is not the moon."

He didn't quite get it, so I explained that it basically means that just because a man, or religion, is pointing out God to you, it doesn't mean you worship the man or religion. He didn't seem to want to debate it because he didn't have an answer or counter point.

Also while explaining the path Tolle shows (pragmatic explainations of age-old beliefs, from Jesus to Buddah, they all said the same things), he said he didn't think Tolle believed in God. I told him that the idea of God he presents are not his ideas, but ancient ones, and that these ideas have made me see that religion has reduced The Lord God to a dirty old man riding on a cloud peeking under bed sheets. Also that if he really thought about it, does it make any sense that the omnipresent, omnipotent, creator of The Universe would have the time to speak to a group of old men in NYC, or that he would ONLY speak through them, out of the millions people on earth? I got a hairy eyeball, but he didn't respond, and shutting that Dub up is no small feat!

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Bravo.

• dgp
    dgp

Good for you, Confuzzled. I wonder if anyone else can also contribute with ideas about "seeds of doubt".

• Hopscotch
    Hopscotch

Well done Confuzzled. Sometimes just one little point like the one you made can become 'the splinter in the mind' that starts turning the cogs of independant thinking.

All the best

Hopscotch

• Leirben
    Leirben

Lol...seeds of doubt, huh? Okay, how's this for one? After growing up being told that dinosaurs only ate trees and ROCKS (!) I showed my parents where someone had found the fossils of a dinosaur...with another dinosaur in it's belly. Lol. They were VERY disturbed. It's funny the things that bother people.... none of the failed prophecies, etc, bothered them, but the idea that dinosaurs ate meat did.

Anyone else raised being told that dinos were rockivores?

• teel
    teel
    Anyone else raised being told that dinos were rockivores?

Not raised, but my wife thought they eat plants too. I showed her the big teeth of the T-Rex, but she was totally unfazed: "the T-Rex just ate plants with those teeth". Well, if he did, then God was a really bad designer creating him with such sharp teeth; no wonder poor T-Rex died out, having been so badly equipped to perform the most basic function.

• Leirben
    Leirben

No joke. Oh, and I was told that sharks are supposed to eat seaweed.... Ahh, cults. Sorry for going kinda off topic there, lol.

• poppers
    poppers

Good job, Confuzzled! Have you ever listened to Tolle's Stillness Speaks?

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Leirben said:

After growing up being told that dinosaurs only ate trees and ROCKS (!) I showed my parents where someone had found the fossils of a dinosaur...with another dinosaur in it's belly. Lol. They were VERY disturbed. It's funny the things that bother people.... none of the failed prophecies, etc, bothered them, but the idea that dinosaurs ate meat did.

Wow. After all my years of being in, and all my years of being OUT, I don't think I ever realized that carnivores were totally against the whole "happy animal paradise" thing.

Good grief. Thanks... I may actually use this.

• Confuzzled
    Confuzzled

@Poppers I have the book. I Also have the FindHorn Retreat on DVD but I have to find 4 hours to sit and really watch it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit