With friends like these.......

by Belmont 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Belmont
    Belmont

We've been out three years after many many years enmeshed in the org; not df'd or da'd, just fading away for family's sake. This is a letter we received this morning from a jw friend of 25 years' standing who has continued to invite us to her house for meals, and eat with us during the past three years.

Dear****, When I first knew you had ceased coming to the meetings, my heart felt love for you both, made me visit you. The intention was to win back my dear brother and sister.

Over a period of time I have come to realize that you have ceased associating with Jehovah's organization and my conscience now feels I cannot continue our association.

I am sorry to lose you as friends. Not my will but Jehovah's will is more important to me. I know you will understand. *****

We have no illusions about the conditional nature of jw friendships - it's interesting to see it confirmed in writing. By the way, we have never discussed with her our reasons for leaving.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Dear *****, as your friend, a fellow human, and someone who loves and cares for you very much, I can assure you that I do not "understand".

• Will Power
    Will Power

Why all of a sudden after 3 years?
    Good comment 6of9

• Xena
    Xena

Ahhh Belmont so sorry to hear this..but not suprised. I get the same thing from my sister...I love you BUT I can't have anything to do with you..uuummm yea love ya too sis!

Well welcome here and know the friendships formed here are not conditional on any philosophical or religions beliefs... The only way to end a friendship here is to lie or intentionally hurt someone and I am sure you would never do either!

Looking forward to seeing more of you

• metatron
    metatron

And what exactly have you lost? a friend? It doesn't seem so.
    You just lost an associate pretending to be your friend.

My stepdaughter got into some trouble with local elders.
    I warned her that they would disfellowship her and that her
    friends in the congregation would shun her.
    She replied:

"Well, if they do, they were never my friends".

very wise indeed

metatron

• yrs2long
    yrs2long

I was wondering if something new is happening. I recall a post a couple of weeks ago regarding an elders meeting where the elder said that inactive ones are still under God's law. I don't know if this was a valid post but the very next day my father called me out of the blue but I brushed him off. I wondered what precipitated his call though and I didn't call him back. I wonder if the society is considering flushing out the inactive from among the apostate.

This is definitely one way to make you show which side you are on.

• avengers
    avengers

My heart just about broke when I read that.

Watchtower leaders you family wrecking murdering liars!!!

• Latte
    Latte

Belmont,

(((((Hugs))))) to ya! I know how you feel. Take Care

Metatron,

You said

You just lost an associate pretending to be your friend.
    That’s just how I would sum it up…nicely worded.

It’s not easy realizing that you have been maintaining ‘friendship’s’ with people who are only your friend because they basically have to be. Let’s face it the amount of people who are left in the trooth are so thin on the ground that they have to move on to those who are left, who perhaps they would not (if out in the real world) choose to have as a friend.

I am experiencing a similar situation with my longstanding friends. The one thing which I know for sure is that there are many that are leaving, and few new ones getting baptised, with the obvious result of less ‘variety’ of friends to choose from, less personalities to interest.

I feel sad for those left, the warning’s from the mags. Platform, the paranoia and distrust all takes their toll. Depression def. comes with the territory of being a JW.
    The last meeting I attended a lovely sister came up to me (I knew her a little) a told me as soon as she could, that she is suffering from Anxiety, Stress, Depression…..she told me that she feel’s better when she’s on the Ministry, or at the meeting’s. Guilt keep’s them doing the very thing which bring them such misery.

IMHO

Latte

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

I like Raymond Franz’ term for these types: “Institutional Friends.”

“We all fell down from the milky way, hanging around here for the judgement day, heaven only knows who’s in command.”- Jimmy Buffet

• SexyTeen
    SexyTeen

Do you love them enough to attend some meetings with them?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit