Whooping Cough Epidemic in California

by blondie 35 Replies latest jw friends

• StAnn
    StAnn

I had two cousins who reacted severely to vaccinations so my mother didn't have us vaccinated. We went to the doctor every year right before school started and had a physical. The doctor would then give us a letter to take to school saying that we were healthy.

Later, when I started college, I had my vaccinations as an adult.

With my biological son, I held out on his vaccinations until it was time for him to start school. That way, he'd be older and stronger. We have an Air Force Base near here and he went to school with people from all over the world with varying levels of vaccinations so I didn't want to put him at risk by sending him to school unvaccinated.

With my stepchildren, since none of their biological family have reacted badly to vaccines, I keep them fully vaccinated.

My husband works at a university and go whooping cough about 18 months ago. It was a NIGHTMARE. I'd recommend the vaccination to anyone, he was so sick that he just cried.

StAnn

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

"People who don't vaccinate, sorry beks, are ruled by anecdote and junk science."

How many books have you read, both pro and con, on the subject?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

As a parent I have read a few books on the subject, Pros and cons and I have spoken at length with my family doctor ( most doctors vaccinate their kids by the way) but we have been lucky and never had ANY complications from any vaccine, so far anyways.

My eldest got the Chickenpox vaccine a few years ago and her pre-shcool class has an "outbreak", but only 3 kids got it, none of the other kids did ( 26 kids), the ones that got it were the only ones that had NOT been vaccinated and one of them got really sick, was in the Hospital for 3 days.

I don't envy parents that have that extra thing to worry about too.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

People who refuse to vaccinate are paving the way for future infant deaths.

It is a numbers issue; NO matter what, your odds as a parent are FAR better if your child is vaccinated.

The same logic applies to flu shots, and H1N1 shots; the odds always favor the vaccinated.

Beks, what do you think is in a vaccine? It is a killed, dead, virus, not live. When your child is unvacccinated, it is irrelevant how he is exposed, he will likely contract what may be deadly for him, or spread it to an infant too young to be vaccinated.

If your child is the one in a million who is allergic, I get that; but to oppose vaccines on that ground in unscientific, unethical, and well, stupid.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Homeopathic, and refusing vaccines, too? Why am I not surprised.

The anti-vaccine crowd, and the homeopathy followers, what they never have is proof of concept or results from double blind scientific studies, only anecdote and conspiracy theory.

P

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Sorry for the snarky comments, Beks and others.

What I wish I had said was that the science for vaccines is indisputable, and that increasing numbers of non vaccination will lead to the return of dreaded childhood diseases, similar to the case blondie posted from CA.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

My mother didn't have me vaccinated.

As a result in the early 60s I had whooping cough, measles, mumps, german measles. I was in hospital three times before I was at school. As a result I am almost blind in one eye, and the hearing in one ear was impaired. Do I wish I had been vaccinated? You bet.

Maybe these diseases turned me into a moron. A valid question, considering how long I stayed a JW.

I am not minimising any mothers distress. But I still say that non-vaccinators are taking advantage of the fact that most of the kids they come in contact with have had the jabs.

And - yes I have read a LOT on this subject.

As for horrific epidemics of the past you only need to pick up a few history books, and find out what infant mortality was like. Even if you had 15 children you would only expect three or four to survive past the age of ten.

HB

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    If your child is the one in a million who is allergic, I get that; but to oppose vaccines on that ground in unscientific, unethical, and well, stupid.

Excuse me, but where does beks oppose vaccines? She related her experience, which was pretty horrific, but I don't see her telling anyone not to vaccinate their kids, just to be aware. Jumping to any other conclusion is, well, stupid.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff
    Excuse me, but where does beks oppose vaccines? She related her experience, which was pretty horrific, but I don't see her telling anyone not to vaccinate their kids, just to be aware. Jumping to any other conclusion is, well, stupid.

Point taken; mea culpa.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Thank you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit