Found: Octagon Soap!

by snowbird 29 Replies latest social family

• snowbird
    snowbird

Octagon Laundry Bar Soap, 7 Oz

My oldest daughter heard me speak of it, and alerted me to the fact that she'd seen some at a little, hole-in-the-wall store.

Hallelujah!

Syl

• not a captive
    not a captive

Is that anything like Fells-Naptha?

And did you know that coal-tar soap is not easy to get in my town, either and that is so good and cheaper than T-Gel. (although some dog-shampoo has the same ingredients)

Tell me about Octagon.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

This is the only soap you need:

• John Doe
    John Doe

Soap is soap.

• snowbird
  • StAnn
    StAnn

In future, check out www.SoapsGoneBuy.com

They have octagon, fels naptha, kirks castile, and lots of others.

I use fels naptha for making laundry soap and pretreating laundry stains.

There is a small general store near me, about half an hour, and I go there to buy locally made lye soap.

I have found a recipe and directions for making my own lye soap in the crockpot. I'm going to buy a second crockpot at a yard sale this summer and see how it works. I don't want to use my good crockpot because I don't want to risk destroying it.

StAnn

• StAnn
    StAnn

Syl, you and I were thinking the same thing at the same time. Scary!

StAnn

• snowbird
    snowbird

Octagon Soap

It's made from mostly lye and has a pleasing lemongrass aroma.

In my childhood, it was used to clean everything - appliances, children, dishes, floors, laundry. cats, dogs, chicken, etc!

During the week, we would haul in the tin #2 tub (called a foot tub), fill it with hot water, and give ourselves a good scrubbing with the long-lasting tan bar.

On Saturday nights, however, we had to take the #3 tub (bath tub) from its resting place on a hook outside, fill it with extra hot water, and scrub or be scrubbed from head to toe with the rich-lathering bar.

On Sunday mornings, we would once again turn to the lowly foot tub, but this time with a bar of "sweet"soap - either Cashmere Bouquet, or, if finances were less strained, Camay.

Then, it was off to Sunday school, smelling like freshly-picked flowers ...

My oldest daughter ran into a little out-of-the-way store this weekend and found, to my delight, a goodly supply of Octagon soap.

Guess I'll be stopping in to buy some in the near future. Nothing like indulging in a little nostalgia, is there?

Syl

I've never tried Fels-Naptha, NotACaptive.

There's a place up in the woods where the people make goat milk soap; they get the milk from their own goats.

We used to get pine tar soap and shampoo from a traveling salesman - E. F. Young's in Atlanta, I believe.

John Doe, you need your mouth washed out with some strong lye soap!

Syl

• snowbird
    snowbird

You know what's said about great minds, Saintly One.

Syl

• avishai
    avishai

I like dr. bronner's

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit