My oldest brother got baptized at 12 and realized he was 100% gay at 12 1/2. Sucky timing huh? He fought the fine fight of the abstinent until his mid-twenties and then decided he couldn't live like that anymore. Got DFed and 100% shunned by the rest of us 2nd & 3rd gen JW family for about 20 years. Then I woke up to TTATT about 8 years ago. He forgave me for my obedience to the cult and we've at least had the last 8 years to try making up for lost time.
As our JW parents had various health issues arise over the last few years, it's been interesting seeing how he's been treated when the "Necessary Family Business(tm)" situation occurs. Recently, he sent me an e-mail describing how he was subjected to Shun Style #6 listed below. I was surprised who administered this shun and, I had forgotten that #6 even existed. With no further ado, I give you:
Shunning Styles, 101
Trying to be Nice Styles:
1. Entitled Elder trying to be nice. (Entitled because, as an Elder, he's not necessarily breaking any rules by talking to the DFed person.)
2. Un-entitled R&F, playing by the rules, but still trying to be nice.
3. R&F, not playing by the rules for whatever reason, and being nice.
4. Complete, but not necessarily noticeable, shun. JW happens to notice DF person from a distance and subsequently does whatever it takes to COMPLETELY avoid ANY contact, visual or otherwise.
5. Dogsh*t-under-my-shoe shun. JW makes a point of making eye contact with DFed person and then abruptly turns away. Most dramatic if a sneer is delivered just prior to the turn-away. (This shun is always delivered with maximum condescension and Holier-Than-Thou self-righteousness.)
6. "OMG! It's a demon-possessed, DFed Monster! Grab your kids and run!" - shun. This shun is delivered by a true-believing, ultra-obedient cult member. No condescension, just fear.
If you have any other categories to add, feel free. Or if you'd care to elaborate on any of the categories I've described, have at it.