How much texting is reasonable for kids?

by moshe 11 Replies latest social family

• moshe
    moshe

Our daughter is going into 6th grade this year and it seems she just started texting last month. Six months ago she rarely talked on the phone and now our home phone rings all day long. Today, she ran the battery down on our cordless phone and it died in the middle of my wife's phone call to her sister. My brother inlaw warned me about texting cell phone charges, so I was happy to get a new Teen-friendly plan from Virgin Mobile wireless- $25/mo for 300 minutes + unlimited texts and unlimited Internet. I have to admit, I am a little jealous of this texting, as I know I would have loved to do that when I was young- but then Moshe is so old, that he remembers going to a one room school house and getting all excited about our new black and white TV set.

I just hope this texting doesn't get out of hand. -Advice anyone?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

My daughters best friend texts constantly whilst in class. She recently won $10000 in a competition for Australia's fastest texter and went to New York for the global finals.

I switched my daughters plan from unlimited to paid per text and gave her a limit of 100 per month. She has to pay for anything she goes over the limit. That at least makes her think before sending a text, so as to control her usage.

• dinah
    dinah

Get the unlimited texting.

My kids probably send around 12,000 a month---but at the same time aren't tied to their phones constantly.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

We just went to the unlimited plan for my son that is exactly the same age (going in to sixth) after last months phone bill . It just started all of a sudden, he just texts all the time!

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

When they are no longer involved in the world around them because they are staring at the phone, they are doing it too much.

• moshe
    moshe

Previously, we used to be worried that our daughter was too shy. I am happy to see her involved with other kids and use the words "best friends", now. We will obviously monitor this usage- I took her phone away at bedtime and put it on the charger in our bedroom- No text messaging to friends after "lights out" Everyone told me to get unlimited texting and avoid the grief that comes from surprise phone bills.

• zeroday*
    zeroday*

I remember when I was in the 6th grade in 1966 If I remember correctly our texting rates were quite resonable actually they were FREE because they DIDN'T EXIST...How in the FREEK did we survive...

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    How in the FREEK did we survive

By passing notes in class, if I recall correctly.

• mind blown
    mind blown

Well, my girl and her friends do almost all their communication by texting......call someone? What?!

I think it's easier to text most times because people are in the middle of things and i gather it's fun...it's rather new...... and I really do believe it's great for garnering added communication skills.

Hey, if the kids have their home work done.....and stuff around the house........and arn't pains in your arse.....why not, however, texting in class.....hmmmm could be a real distraction.....

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Speaking as the stepmom of two kids now grown; pick your battles. Most schools don't allow cell phone use in class so if your daughter is doing her homework and chores, I'd say have at it! There are going to be A LOT of things that you're going to have to say, "No" to, so save them for the important stuff like parties where no parents will be present, overnight/weekend trips wtih a boyfriend, etc. I know she's only 12, but these things come up quickly, and most parents, (especially dads), are shocked and unprepared.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit