Dark Moon

by compound complex 33 Replies latest social entertainment

• compound complex
    compound complex

The garden path of decaying brick winds in serpentine fashion through a bed of roses so colorfully vibrant that I am incredulous to discover that these fashion plates have no smell. This incongruity of beauty minus the expected trait of floral fragrance puts me off. I am in a zone of altered reality by so simple yet unexpected an unnatural phenomenon. Maybe the old olfactory is out of sorts or my sniffer's simply out of joint.

No, my senses - all of them - remain keen. Something is terribly wrong in the secret garden of this old house so very far off the beaten path. I wandered over here while performing my daily, nocturnal amble from the family home on Hernandez Terrace to what has become the discovery of a property somehow earlier missed. How missed I can't say. I know every boulevard and avenue and street and back alley in town. So I thought.

Perhaps not. Something's missing here. I don't know what it is, but I have a prickly feeling I'm about to find out. Walking so late at night has never before caused me the slightest unease. Suddenly it occurs to me that, despite a near total darkness, I have been perceiving all along a rich tapestry of deeply hued flora.

Tonight ... this night is singular for the strangely still mood of a neighborhood once so familiar to me. There's a dense atmosphere, a palpable heaviness that wafts gently around me, then cuts like a dull knife down my center. I raise my eyes toward a sky that goes from velvety smooth, deep purple to undulating waves of a steadily blackening expanse that is dominated by the staring eyes of a dark moon ...

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Coco -

You write so beautifully. I have tears in my eyes.

OXO

HB

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dearest Hamsterbait:

May you have peace and love today, and always, in your precious life.

Love,

CoCo

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Hi Coco:

Have you been able to scan some of your music?

You are so talented - Those lovely paintings you posted! Have you written many songs?

HB

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings anew, HB!

Thank you for the encouraging words. I have put music to a Clavinova floppy disk [ancient recording method, I realize] and analog tape, but I don't know how to go from that point to newfangled on my own. I really want to do a CoCo Plays Phantom on YouTube. It'll get pulled off, though, I'm sure, for copyright infringement.

Yes, I've composed lots of pieces, from in-the-classic-mode to Yanniesque. I've been offered use of a state-of-the-art studio. The time to do it ...????????????

I appreciate your interest and hope one day to satisfy your curiosity!

In friendship,

CoCo

• snowbird
    snowbird

Beautiful stuff - reminds me of Night Cafe and Starry Night paintings by Van Gogh.

Syl

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Syl, for responding and mentioning the above: a melange of the mundane and the macabre, IMHO ...

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

What teeming life and vibrant joyousness that have typically sustained me day in, day out, have dissipated without warning into a void of deep-seated blackness and a despairing sense of hopelessness.

Morbid, thickly enveloping atmospheres of imminent death slowly, jeeringly drown me; and of all earth's creatures, myself alone, is he who realizes most keenly that there no escape from this implacable dark goddess. None other than I knows that the portcullis has been lowered, eternally, into the fetid, mystic waters of our eternal prison. It is the black moon whose curse upon this unwitting and innocent man cuts into the vitals and expunges all hope of that elusive immortality enjoined upon superstitious but sincere believers.

The light of my religion has proved powerless against the putative inferiority of lesser gods ...

• snowbird
    snowbird

Portcullis.

Syl

• compound complex
    compound complex

O, melting moon,
    She drips puddles
    Of Light about my
    Feet ...

Achingly, she lets out
    A tiny groan, allowing